Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

2. With the steering wheel in the correct (comfortable) position, the Steering column is ~1 inch short, it therefore has to run higher to meet up with the steering rack spigot, this makes the UJ operate at too steep an angle, and the 2 ends foul (just visible in the pic). The column runs too high above the drivers feet as well, which is also a concern.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're describing Steve, so this is probably a ridiculous suggestion, but ....

could the solution lie in rotating the steering rack to stop the UJ ends fouling, lowering the column above the driver's feet, and thereby moving the steering wheel a bit closer to the driver?

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you're describing Steve, so this is probably a ridiculous suggestion, but ....

could the solution lie in rotating the steering rack to stop the UJ ends fouling, lowering the column above the driver's feet, and thereby moving the steering wheel a bit closer to the driver?

Alistair
    Hello mate,
    yes that would work, and it is a possible solution. The snag with that plan is that rotating the Rack - pointing the spigot down a few degrees - would lower the (inner) track rods, and I want to keep them level (horizontal).

The track rods are reasonably level now (not perfect) rotating the Rack would move them in the wrong direction.

Definetly sounds like a case for a double jointed column for sure.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    I had 2 problems connecting my steering column to the Rack,
    one of them (length of the column) was solved today, in fact the solution was staring me in the face all along.

The Column I am using is from a late model Ford Sierra, it is 'adjustable', but I didn't understand what that meant, until today. When I hit it with a hammer.

I did some research and stumbled across a Locost forum (some Locost's use the Sierra column) anyway this guy was refurbing his steering and viewing his pics, it dawned on me that the Column is telescopic. Or is supposed to be - mine was jammed, a couple of whacks with a hammer and now it's moving freely. So I can now extend the Column to the correct point, and lower it. Good result.

So I can now use the pinned cut-n-shut that some of you guys suggested to connect to my existing UJ (pic) or get a custom UJ made based on the current one, but extended down and opened out to fit the 16mm 60 spline rack spigot.
    I am favouring the latter, we'll see.

One bonus of all this is that I think I will be able to keep the columns 'adjustability' when in the Nova, there is about 65mm movement towards or away from the driver.

In the top right corner of this pic you can see how much I pulled out the column:

A possible way around your problem might be to unstake one half of the u/j and replace with the matching steering u/j part, you'll probably find the bore of the bearing cap is the same as most seam to use a generic size but if not you could bore it out if enough meat left or if the bore to big get a ring machined to get a good fit

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    A possible way around your problem might be to unstake one half of the u/j and replace with the matching steering u/j part, you'll probably find the bore of the bearing cap is the same as most seam to use a generic size but if not you could bore it out if enough meat left or if the bore to big get a ring machined to get a good fit
    Nice bit of lateral thinking

_20201018_142650.jpg
    Boris doesn't look impressed 😁

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    _20201018_142650.jpg
    Boris doesn't look impressed 😁

He will be when he sees the new UJ ...

Have you looked in CBS, they do duel size UJs?
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl