Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for keeping up with the build thread ;-)

The rear panel isn't for sale, I actually bought the Bedford lights, which were new old-stock from an Italian seller on Ebay (The Bedford van was called the 'Blitz' in europe). So I'm going to clean it up and use it.

Rearpanel.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Piperphasetwo View Post
    Interestingly I have a rear light panel with cut-outs for Bedford CF van lights, you can still get the
    lenses on Ebay but they are expensive. The old-school look does appeal to me ...

Hi Steve,

do you still have the old panel mentioned above? would it be for sale?? Regards,

John

sorry this quote was from 2017 when you bought the car and was looking through the boxes of bits!

Blog Entries
    I started work on the hinges today. The plan was to remove one of the bushes intact and take some measurements to see if any off-the shelf replacements are available.
    ... that was a lot tougher than it sounded...
    I got one out in reasonable condition, but thereafter the blowtorch was used along with a 1/4 inch socket extension bar (just visible in the pics) which was just the right size to hammer out the molten bushes.

In general, I'm happy with the condition of the hinges, although there was an issue with the drivers side 'powered' arm, where the tube holding the bush at the bottom is deformed (pictured).

This being a Nova, the measurements of the bushes, tubes etc were different according to where you measured ;-)

Anyway the plan is to fit the powered arm (the one the piston pushes) of the hinge with a screw-thread top to adjust the length. I may even get new arms made to fit off-the-shelf bushes, I will retain the top and bottom fittings-but extend the mounting plate of the bottom mount to go all the way down to the bottom of the hinge recess on the bodyshell.

IMG_20180714_153122_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180714_153738.jpg
    IMG_20180714_155406.jpg
    IMG_20180714_155615.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

The rear panel isn't for sale, I actually bought the Bedford lights, which were new old-stock from an Italian seller on Ebay (The Bedford van was called the 'Blitz' in europe). So I'm going to clean it up and use it.

Rearpanel.jpg
    Hi Steve, shame it’s not for sale, but glad to hear that you are going to retain the original panel. I have been searching for this panel for a long time as mine was missing. The original mould does not exist so I was thinking I was going to have to re-create the panel. Is there any chance I can borrow the panel to make a mould ?

Regards John

Rearpanel.jpg
    Ha ha yes, only just spotted that! I have been keeping up with the thread, I must have missed it the first time round and just happened to go back over the entire thread last week and spotted the panel.

Blog Entries
    My car left the factory without a VIN plate, so I had one made and stamped with the information that I have.
    I wanted a look-a-like for the (Mk1 Elam) VIN plate, here it is:

Vin_Plate.jpg

Looks very good, well done.

My car left the factory without a VIN plate, so I had one made and stamped with the information that I have.
    I wanted a look-a-like for the (Mk1 Elam) VIN plate, here it is:

Vin_Plate.jpg
    looks far too good for an original, you’re stamping (or engraving) is straight!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piperphasetwo View Post
    Hi Steve, shame it’s not for sale, but glad to hear that you are going to retain the original panel. I have been searching for this panel for a long time as mine was missing. The original mould does not exist so I was thinking I was going to have to re-create the panel. Is there any chance I can borrow the panel to make a mould ?

Regards John
    Hi John, Yes we'll sort something out.
    I need to find a box suitable to post it down to you.
    There will be some prepwork to get the panel ready to make a mould from,
    e.g. filling holes and drilling out rivets. but nothing you can't handle.

Can you PM me with your postal address please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    looks far too good for an original, you’re stamping (or engraving) is straight!!
    Yeah you have a point ;-)
    it was made by www.vin-plate.co.uk,
    Maybe I should have asked the guy to drink a 2L bottle of cider before stamping the details, to get that early ELAM era 'Patina'.

Blog Entries
    I love the smell of fibreglass in the morning ...
    poly-creation.eu have supplied a (sun)roof fill piece in black gelcoat
    I asked for an oversized piece that could be cut down to fill the sunroof opening.

RoofPanel.jpg

The decision now is how to use it...
    I could permanently glass it in,
    or maybe use a slim window seal trim peice to secure it in place, which would effectively be a 'break glass' escape hatch.
    Or have a panel I can easily remove, i.e. an opening sunroof/hatch.
    Any thoughts?