Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Thanks David ... I dunno about taking molds, I need to focus on getting my Nova back on the road!

Thanks Steve, much appreciated. Incidentally, what type of dash are you intending to go for?
    Hello man,
    Here's the plan; I have a Dash base and single Pod from Poly creation, the Pod is different to the Mk1 Pods I sold you, Poly Creation Pods are slightly smaller, don't extend out (toward the driver) past the dash base.

I have already removed the 'centre console' by chopping off below the central vent. I will be having a centre console but a different shape, supported by metal round tubing from under the central vent, to the main backbone tube of the chassis.

I need to do the same trick as you and fix paper templates where the gauges will fit, then sit in the car. If that works (i.e. looks good, and I can see the instruments past the steering wheel) then that is Plan A. I'll use black VDO instruments. Unless I find a more interesting set cluster of gauges...

Plan B is to get a custom dash pod made, perhaps with a single large multi-function speedo/revcounter/fuel gauge, with bits around the edges. The McClaren dash is similar:

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/358036239102409816/

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Steve,

I was wondering why Poly Creations reduced the Ďdepthí of their pod, but when I did my 1st trial fit of your old pod it looked like it would require some cutting to accommodate the ignition lock on the steering column.

Something to consider is being able to accommodate any steelwork you fabricate to support the steering column itself. Iím going to put mine immediately under the unusual raised section of the drivers side of my dash but if your column is going to hang from it then it might have to be inside the pod itself.

I suspect youíve already invested quite a bit in your new dash and pod so was thinking that if you decided to go for plan B is it worth combining plans A & B so that the only alteration would be to the vertical face of the pod rather than getting someone to make a completely new one.

Either way, Iím looking forward to seeing the result

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

Something to consider is being able to accommodate any steelwork you fabricate to support the steering column itself. Iím going to put mine immediately under the unusual raised section of the drivers side of my dash but if your column is going to hang from it then it might have to be inside the pod itself.

I suspect youíve already invested quite a bit in your new dash and pod so was thinking that if you decided to go for plan B is it worth combining plans A & B so that the only alteration would be to the vertical face of the pod rather than getting someone to make a completely new one.

Either way, Iím looking forward to seeing the result
    I commend your impeccable logic Alistair, however I think it more likely that Iíll choose a more long-winded and tortuous route, fall flat on my face, get up, devise a Plan C, start again, etc. etc. That is the MO of this build.

Some late-breaking news: I heard today that my Subarugears Flywheel is being shipped from OZ by DHL. Should arrive on 26th Aug. This is Flywheel #3

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I commend your impeccable logic Alistair, however I think it more likely that Iíll choose a more long-winded and tortuous route, fall flat on my face, get up, devise a Plan C, start again, etc. etc. That is the MO of this build.

Some late-breaking news: I heard today that my Subarugears Flywheel is being shipped from OZ by DHL. Should arrive on 26th Aug. This is Flywheel #3
    Great to hear your late breaking news Steve!

..... itís not too late to change your MO, but I recall youíre a bit younger than me so you should have more time to complete your resto

Blog Entries
    My replacement Flywheel has arrived, this is the third Flywheel Subarugears have sent me (for my VW Type 4 Engine).
    However the good news ends there; because like the other two, there are problems with this one as well;

There is a problem fitting the Clutch plate to the Flywheel, 3 of the 6 pre-drilled holes for the clutch plate don't line up properly - they are a few mm off (see pic), I pinged Subarugears and they are sending out another Flywheel, it's another delay, so the saga continues...

This is blocking one strand of the build (engine install), but overall the build is on a go-slow anyway due to life getting in the way. So I am not too concerned. Having said that, I am optimistic I will be able to crack-on with other aspects of the build fairly soon - more on that later.

In the pics below I am using 6mm drill bits as dowels to align the clutch plate, with them in place I can only get three of the six mounting bolts in.

Blog Entries
    This (top pic) represents progress, the replacement Flywheel has arrived from Subarugears, the good news is that this one fits. (long story but this is the fourth Flywheel I have been sent);

The pic shows the full dry-fit, the bolts now line-up, the engine turns on the starter (doesn't run), the clutch operates, albeit on the heavy side. All in all, this represents a good day in the garage,

Some fun-and-games of course; the engine turns over on the starter but is very clanky (noisy) seemingly caused by the starter motor teeth on the flywheel..?
    The adapter plate was a fettle fit, it fouled the engine fins in some places, the engine flange needed notching in 3 places to allow the bolts and starter motor some clearance (pic), getting the adapter to sit flush on the engine was also a pain.

To complete the install, I need to order some 6mm alignment dowels (arrived this morning) and find a pilot bearing (i.e. to fit into the flywheel), Subarugears don't provide any info of course, other than "it needs to be bronze" I think that is the usual quick BS answer from SG, as the Subaru OEM flywheel uses a standard (ball) bearing in a housing, and the Type 4 Flywheel uses a roller bearing.

It doesn't help that the hole for the Pilot bearing in the Subarugrars Flywheel is 18.5mm diameter, meaning that I can't get *any* off the shelf bearing to fit, so I will use Bronze Oilite, I have ordered an oversize bearing that I will get ground down to 18.5.

Wow that's a relief to finally find light at the end of the tunnel, best of luck with the spigot bush not the easiest material to machine
    Mike

What a relief! Itís been a long wait for you. Looking forward to seeing you getting the engine going now

Its gonna be great to be able to turn it on the key and hear it burst into life! quickly followed by you and a bare chassis with a seat and steering wheel zipping down the road

Great news some welcome progress after all your frustrations. I'm not sure on the oillite bush though grinding oillite is usually a no no as it blocks the pores that said if its on the outside diameter that is a force fit I guess it makes no difference, but it is a soft metal. What is the size of the input shaft could you not sleeve the fly wheel to accept a steel bearing?

Dirk