Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Those "6mm alignment dowels" looks suspiciously like 6mm drill bits...LOL. At least you will have another used for them once done with this

All that to fit a Subaru gearbox on a VW engine, wow. Got there in the end though.

Pity there are very few Skoda Rapide 3000 5 speed gear boxes about, bolt straight on.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    My engine turns over on the starter but it's noisy (clanky). I found out why.
    The Flywheel teeth are 'bedding in'.
    I unbolted the engine and found metal shards in the bell housing (Pic) these are from where the starter motor teeth strike the Flywheel teeth. So the Flywheel teeth are already showing some signs of wear; It's a worry but I am hoping things will settle down when the teeth 'round-out'. There is no wear on the Starter teeth.

Thanks for the Oilite info; I have the oversize Oilite bush, I take the point about sleeving it to allow an aftermarket bearing to fit; but I am going to machine down the bush to 18.3mm, which will allow an interference fit to the Flywheel.
    The internal diameter is 12mm and a good fit on the Scooby gearbox shaft.

Hi Steve looking at the pic with the starter engaged it looks very shallow with it's mesh with the flywheel i.e not in far enough making the contact surface the top of the flywheel teeth hence the tooth damage. Is the flywheel the correct diameter and the teeth the same as original
    Mike

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    That's disappointing I'm not sure there should be a bedding in period where the starter is trying to shape the flywheel profile, have you got a flywheel that matches the starter to compare the profile?

Dirk

Not 100% sure but aren't the teeth on a VW flywheel chamfered? Those look very sharp to me. and not the best fit.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

flywheel gears.jpg
    Looking back I noticed there is quite a difference in the two gears on the flywheels.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    flywheel gears.jpg
    Looking back I noticed there is quite a difference in the two gears on the flywheels.
    So presumably the way forward is to get a compatible gear wheel fitted to the starter? .... or it’s back to SG for a 5th(??) flywheel

Simple question/thought - what starter motor are you using?

I didn’t source my starter for my Subaru gears box - Fellows fitted one from a donor Scooby.

is yours definitely a scoops unit and gear/cog?

The pattern is certainly different to a VW flywheel, but that may be deliberate to suit the scoot starter?