Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    All looking great Steve.

I’m also intending to make my chassis drivable before the body goes back on. Are you intending to make the position of the steering wheel adjustable from the driving position (like modern cars) or are you going to find the optimum position and just set it at that?

Love the temporary battery stand ... presumably this is so that your wiring is all suitable for the battery’s final position under the bonnet?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking very nice.

I thought I was posh with a ratchet crimper but look at you with a hydraulic one, does it come with a selection of Jaws or is it just for the bigger crimps? Just out of curiosity what is the custom UJ costing?

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    All looking great Steve.

I’m also intending to make my chassis drivable before the body goes back on. Are you intending to make the position of the steering wheel adjustable from the driving position (like modern cars) or are you going to find the optimum position and just set it at that?

Love the temporary battery stand ... presumably this is so that your wiring is all suitable for the battery’s final position under the bonnet?
    Hi Alistair,
    The wheel will be adjustable in that it is telescopic, and there is about 2+inch travel towards or away from the driver (i.e. not up and down). This is a feature of the Sierra steering column, so if I use the same attach points to mount the column I will get that adjustability.
    This is subject to me getting the body on and nothing on the body or dash getting in the way.

Yes, I'm placing the battery there so that the wiring is suitable for when the body goes on, I will leave the cables long at this stage because I am not sure how I will route them into the front compartment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking very nice.

I thought I was posh with a ratchet crimper but look at you with a hydraulic one, does it come with a selection of Jaws or is it just for the bigger crimps? Just out of curiosity what is the custom UJ costing?

Dirk
    The crimper is a nice bit of kit, it is an unbranded Chinese thing, it came with spare O-rings for the hydraulics, IIRC I got it from Ebay.
    You put in the appropriate 'jaws' you need for the job in hand, I did my main battery cable and it can go down to ~30 Amp cables, not any smaller. I use the smaller blue hand crimper for individual wires.

Blog Entries
    As for the UJ, I called the company yesterday, no indication of cost yet. I'll likely take a kicking on it.

That's a nice bit of kit, The Chinese do get it right, sometimes. I soldered all mine.

Here is a tip if you don't have a crimper, cut a suitable size nut, e.g. M8, nut in half though the wide part parallel to the flats and use the two halves in a vice.
    Last edited by Peter; 30-10-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    I wired-up the starter panel - that will hang there until the body goes on.

I hit a glitch with the wiring of the fuel pump as the +ve nut wouldn't go on, I couldn't work out why with the tank in-situ, so I removed it from the chassis.
    In the end I took ~1mm off the fuel pump extender 'nut' to get the smaller nut to turn, the -ve terminal on the other side is a smaller size so no issues there.

While the tank was off, I took the opportunity to add some rubber sleeving to the Fuel pump strap mount to reduce noise/vibration. The white washers of the mounting plate are also cushioned (pic), but I didn't think that would be enough.

I love how tidy it all looks

I hope that is a rotary 'silent pump' not an osculating one, mine sounds like a road drill when the carbs are filling from empty and that's only UNDER the tank. Might have to change that, I have one from a Corsa I never used.
    pump in place.jpg
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Started work installing the chassis fuse box, it will be accessible by removing the rear window tunnel.
    I like this type of 'box that has Pos & Neg bus bars incorporated (the top half is effectively an earth Bus Bar fed from an M8 stud on the chassis below).

I plan on using the lid shown in the pic for now, but I am looking at a 3D print lid that will be ~semi waterproof.