Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova build using a 3.2 v6 audi tt engine

Nova build using a 3.2 v6 audi tt engine

I've been quiet on here but very busy been working on the chassis. Will update drop box tomor.

As you can guess from the title of this topic...I'm going ahead. I've committed today I've driven to London and brought a mark 1 audi tt 3.2 v6 as my donor. I never go down the easy or sensible route! This will be my car engine, gear box, interior and lots more. Its quick

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I've been quiet on here but very busy been working on the chassis. Will update drop box tomor.

As you can guess from the title of this topic...I'm going ahead. I've committed today I've driven to London and brought a mark 1 audi tt 3.2 v6 as my donor. I never go down the easy or sensible route! This will be my car engine, gear box, interior and lots more. Its quick

This will be interesting, and looking forward to the updates on fitting…

Thanks it's going to keep me busy

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear, keep the updates coming

Sounds like a very interesting and challenging conversion. How are you planning to install the engine and drive train? Will the engine be facing forward as it does in the Audi but driving the rear wheels instead - in which case it will be a true mid engined configuration but the engine will be within the confines of the cockpit area? Alternatively will you be turning it around so the engine is hanging out the back (same as beetle or Porsche 911) and if so how do you configure the drive to have 5 forward gears and one reverse instead of 1 forward gear and five reverses?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    [...] Alternatively will you be turning it around so the engine is hanging out the back (same as beetle or Porsche 911) and if so how do you configure the drive to have 5 forward gears and one reverse instead of 1 forward gear and five reverses?
    It is possible to modify the VW Gearbox to cater for engines that run the opposite way to the Type 1;
    my knowledge runs out at this point... but for more google "vw beetle gearbox, flipping the differential"

Thanks everyone, so im being guided by this by my other half as he is an ex mechanic and then I'm doing the work under his supervision at this stage.

The plan is a mid engine car.

The 3.2l VR6, will be mount transversely using the DSG gearbox. The DSG gearbox will be converted to 2 wheel drive by removing the transfer box and fitting a custom blanking plate and output shift. Being automatic, gear selection is electronic.

The engine will sit directly in front of the centre of the rear wheels and being a single block V6 shouldn't impact on the cabin. Fuel tank that's to be decided.

Moving the engine forward will provide space for a boot big hopefully to fit the weekly food shop in if I'm lucky lol can you imagine it.

My car won't be there at the kit car show in June but I'm hoping to be there with my family

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Sounds like it's going to be quite something Steph. Looking forward to hearing all about it, and what you're planning for the suspension and brakes. Love the thought of space for the weekly shopping! ... your frozen foods will defrost coz you're gonna spend lots of time answering questions about the car in the car park when you try to load your shopping

Will be excellent I don't think many people will know what the car is. Looking forward to the day I can drive it.

Because its a quattro it allows for the rear wheels to be driven by slicing the inner front drive shafts to the rear outer drive shafts and hub assembly.

The finer detail is still to be worked out for suspension. The front using original torsion with modified hub carriers/custom hubs to use the TT brakes. Failing that I will use an aftermarket classic beetle wishbone set up.

For the rear I will replace with a modified TT mk1 or mk2 (possibly better suited) sub frame assembly incorporating engine mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    It is possible to modify the VW Gearbox to cater for engines that run the opposite way to the Type 1;
    my knowledge runs out at this point... but for more google "vw beetle gearbox, flipping the differential"
    Yes I recall an article in one of the magazines many years ago called "Pipes Dream" where a VW Montage Kit car was being built with a mid mounted Ford Pinto engine and the VW transaxle was turned around 180. The diff inside the transaxle was turned around to restore the 4 forward and 1 reverse gears. However, in Stephs case she was talking about using the Engine and drive train from the VR6 so the Beetle Transaxle was out of the equation and I was wondering if this method would work with the VR6 gearbox? However, the problem doesn't arise anyway since Steph has already replied saying it would be mid mounted so the engine would still be facing forward which makes perfect sense. I wasn't sure if there would be room for this arrangement but I'm sure Steph and her partner have already checked this out and have already indicated that there would be room.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns