Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Forgive me guys, but having read your recent posts I’m glad I decided to adopt the ‘KISS’ (keep it simple, stupid!) approach to my build ... standard drums on the rear, VW discs and calipers on the front, standard dual circuit master cylinder, and a bias control valve to help prevent the front wheels locking up ....

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mark, with dual 0.7 Master Cyls, I have your current brake bias at 66-34% Front-Rear, still not great IMO.

If you had a 0.875 front and 0.625 rear you would get 50-50%, that is what I would go for, then use the balance bar to tune from there.

As Peter alluded to, a larger Master Cyl at the front, reduces mechanical advantage and gives the rears a chance to 'bite'

I have assumed you have 11inch disks/rotors front and back - the EMPI kit does.
    This is the Spreadsheet with the 'joesracing' calculations applied to your set-up (PM me if you want a copy)

Marks_v1.jpg

I think it's time for some disclaimers:
    I don't have *any* real-world experience in setting up balance-bar brakes, I have researched online
    and have an 'O' Level in physics from the 1980s ;-) I am not an expert in this field!

The Caliper diameters above are pulled from the internet and home-measured - not official sources.

I have pinged some experienced folk who know this subject with the plans for my car. I am waiting for responses.

My basic theory is that if the car is 40/60 front-rear weight distribution, with minimal weight transfer on braking, the brake bias should be something similar, maybe 45/55, so that the front wheels lock first under braking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Forgive me guys, but having read your recent posts I’m glad I decided to adopt the ‘KISS’ (keep it simple, stupid!) approach to my build ... standard drums on the rear, VW discs and calipers on the front, standard dual circuit master cylinder, and a bias control valve to help prevent the front wheels locking up ....
    But Alistair, you are missing out on all the fun!

And why not, it's not exactly a track car. works with a bug so.....
    Unfortunately I have to contend with arguably the worst drivers in Europe, witness my BMW and 80Kph to zero several time in a kilometer is very important. rather have too much than not enough, it seems BMW standard is definitely , not enough.

This I found interesting.
    https://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.html

Last edited by Peter; 02-04-2020 at 12:05 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    But Alistair, you are missing out on all the fun!
    I know Steve, but at my age, and with the slow rate of my rebuild, I need to keep it simple to be able to get her back on the road in a ‘reasonable’ timescale. Must say though that I’m full of admiration for those who are doing their best to upgrade the car to more modern standards!

So in the meantime I’ll keep watching all the fun from afar and try to chip in when/if I can offer any words of advice. Keep at it!

Steve
    You could have told me all of this 2 weeks ago ! 😂👍

Spent a fruitful day reading up on master cylinders and calipers, mainly relative to my set up which works out to be a pain in the butt.
    The Wilwood 4 pot powerlite calipers I have 1.58"square inch pistons x 4 which makes 6.32 so that would want a 1 1/8" master cylinder and a 3/4" for the two rear single pot calipers to give equal-ish thrust. I have 3/4" on both so I need to up the front but that means I need more effort to apply the pressure so I need to set the bias to the front, I think. Giving me a headache.q

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I think Alistair may be into something 😂👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Spent a fruitful day reading up on master cylinders and calipers, mainly relative to my set up which works out to be a pain in the butt.
    The Wilwood 4 pot powerlite calipers I have 1.58"square inch pistons x 4 which makes 6.32 so that would want a 1 1/8" master cylinder and a 3/4" for the two rear single pot calipers to give equal-ish thrust. I have 3/4" on both so I need to up the front but that means I need more effort to apply the pressure so I need to set the bias to the front, I think. Giving me a headache.q

Hello mate, so you have Willwood 4-pot 1.58 diameter, with 3/4 Master Cyl at the front.
    What size are the Single pots at the rear?

The 3/4 masters Cyls are 0.75 Diameter.

Steve
    Was discussing the topic this evening with my GT40 guru and the differing master cylinder ratios. His response,,”But have you considered the pedal pivot ratio ?”
    Getting very technical now !!