Page 10 of 147 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Its all looking really good.
    I think the next floor drop that I do will be sloped at the rear as well as the front. I have been caught out a few times now with the Avante where I can go forward over ramps and bumps as the chassis will lift all be it scrapes the bottom but reversing off the ramps or over bumps is just a dead stop as it hits the vertical edge of the floor drop. Every time I have been on 4 poster ramps the garage has had to find bits of wood to wedge under the rear wheels to get the floor high enough to get off them if that makes sense.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I visited Flatlands yesterday to deliver parts and check on progress ....
    Great update Steve! You're helping to inspire me to get back into the garage and work on my chassis over the Xmas Hols.

Not much has happened up here lately ... too busy being self employed, and freezing temperatures in the garage over the past few weeks have put me off! Maybe I should have gone down the Flatlands route too? However, I get great satisfaction from doing things myself ... but at this rate I'll be collecting my pension when I get OSA 101H back on the road!

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on this wonderful Forum!

Alistair

Nice update Steve. Its interesting to see how Flatlands learn and adapt approaches from each build. I followed in Jim's footsteps and then built upon what he did and changed a few things. I see you have taken a few of the things I did and then taken it one step further again.

Flatlands have Jim to thank for a steady stream, albeit a small number of Nova chassis builds. Once yours is in paint you will be truly impressed with their finish.

I'm still looking for the final seats for my build and would like to investigate the ones you have there. Do you have a link for the seat and runners? One thing you may want to consider whilst the car is a flatlands is to see if they can make a forward tilting seat release (Similar to the old Mini's). That way its easy to put stuff behind the seats even though they are not recliners, that's my current thinking if I can't find suitable recliners.

It's really nice when one can start from scratch rather than make the best of what's there.
    I love the seats but possibly too narrow for my butt.
    Pedal box is nice and I love the mod' to the chassis, I was lucky in being LHD so my cylinders are away from the tunnel and just pop over the original without any mods needed.
    Brakes, just goes to show how many ways there are to do it. yours are single drilled with two pot and I have vented radial 4 pot. I could have used the VW mountings but before the Wilwoods broke the bank I had Mazda Rx and had to do a lot of chopping and welding.
    brakebracket.jpgIMG453.jpg
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    [...]
    I'm still looking for the final seats for my build and would like to investigate the ones you have there. Do you have a link for the seat and runners? One thing you may want to consider whilst the car is a flatlands is to see if they can make a forward tilting seat release (Similar to the old Mini's). That way its easy to put stuff behind the seats even though they are not recliners, that's my current thinking if I can't find suitable recliners.
    Hi Dave,
    This is the ebay shop I purchased the seats from;
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kitpartsd...1&_ipg=&_from=
    The models currently on show are subtly different from my one - which may have been the last of an old model(?)
    ... the key thing for me was to have the seat base extend down below the seat runners to maximise headroom, it looks like the new models also have this feature.
    The original fibreglass seats supplied with the Nova kit were also built this way.

The seats have an M8 Nut glassed-in for runners, so runners must be available somewhere. TBO my seat is a bit rough-n-ready, the back & sides would need cosmetic work before going in a finished car.

I don't know that the rake of any of these seats is suitable for the Nova, I'm guessing that it will be fine, but I only bought 1 seat for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Dave,
    This is the ebay shop I purchased the seats from;
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kitpartsd...1&_ipg=&_from=
    The models currently on show are subtly different from my one - which may have been the last of an old model(?)
    Thanks

These look almost identical the seats in my Nova. To say they are 'form-fitting' is an understatement!....

The captive nuts un the seat base are not in a square - the front 2 are a little closer together than the rear 2, so would need some form of custom bracketry to allow the use of off-the-shelf seat runners. That said, I've simply bolted them straight to the floor. I spent an afternoon carefully measuring & trial-fitting to get the best position. I can slip (squeeze) into them and am in the ideal driving position with no adjustment needed. I've also built in a quite a rake so, combined with the dropped pans, I have plenty of headroom.
    cheers

Paul

Seats have been a problem since I started with a Charger in 1980s, that 17.5" limit on the floor width is a pain.
    I tried many, many seats and they all have their problems/limitations, either I have to squeeze myself into them or squeeze them into the car so I can fit. Without a doubt the best was the high backs from the Bedford Rascal/Suzuki carry which I rather foolishly binned in favour of more 'sporty' seats, which are good and just fit but limits the movement but once positioned who needs sliders anyway?
    I tried the ones for Westfeilds and the seat belt holes came up under my shoulder blades and the top was in my neck, OK if 5' 5" I guess. They still sit in the garage looking sad.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Quick Update;

I took the bent beam back to Limebug, they had it straightend by a local engineering company.
    In fairness they held their hands up and offered me some credit on future purchases.

Flatlands have designed a rear mount for the Subaru 'box,
    the box is in, using the Subarugears mount at the front and
    the custom mount at the rear. Gear shifter is working but not 100% yet.

At the front, the Shocks didn't hit the top (horizontal) mount plate at 90 degress, so some adjustment was needed.
    The Rack & Pinion mount and Rack itself (MK2 Polo) is in after some fettling.
    Connections to the Hubs are almost there.
    The Front Beam Brace is in after some fine tuning.

FM1_front_view1.jpg

FM1_framehead1.jpgFM1_rear_nose1.jpgFM1_rearmount2.jpgFM1_rearsusp.jpg

Its looking great, Flatlands do a very nice job. The floor drop at the front looks like it is very vertical (it might just be the photo) but if it is vertical I would highly recommend you take the drop froward towards the pedals and put it on a shallow slop. If you come to a high road bump the slope will scrape but you will get over if it is vertical you probably wont!!

Dirk