Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I will have to speak to the (ahem) current chassis builder about this ...
    Been there, seen that , done that....just ask my why my OEM inserts don't fit in the dash I just spent 100+ man-hours on

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    A bit of progress to report, I have 2 new seats in the loft, but I am using this scratch seat for the 'rough & tumble' of the build, I like this design of seat (in preference to Mazda or OEM style seats) because your backside is as close to the floorpan as it can be, giving more headroom and a more upright seating position. This was the type of seat supplied by Nova Cars (i.e. part of the Kit) back in the day.

Anyway, if this chassis is going to be driveable the seat needs to be properly bolted down, I did that today. The floorpan has already been drilled for my 'new' seats, however this scratch seat has a slightly different bolt pattern. So a wooden adaptor was needed (visible in the pic) which was a real pain to make fit. Another job out of the way though.

One of the reasons for getting a seat fitted (properly bolted down), was to test the brakes with some strong foot-pressure (I am testing the fluid stays in the lines).

The test revealed one glitch, some seepage on the Banjo bolt on top of the Clutch Master Cylinder (Pic) it *probably* just needs tightening, BUT the bolt is inaccessible, none of my sockets or open-ended spanners can get to it, I could drain the fluid and remove the reservoir to get access - that is plan B.
    Plan A is to buy a 14mm (big) offset spanner from Ebay to see if that works – ordered today :-)

Last edited by steve; 17-05-2020 at 10:51 AM.

I like those seats, not long distance as might be a bit hard on the coccyx.
    One can never have enough different types of spanner, a 'normal' set of combination ring/open ended serves 90% of the time but that 10% is always vital and swallows up lots of time in trying to do the most simple of tasks and quite often it takes two spanners to do a job.

I always cringe when I see someone gripping a nut with mole pliers or using the wrong tool like plumbers Stiltons.

I have, (all metric of course);

1 set snap of combi, 6-22.
    1 set Snap-on open ended 8-22
    1 set Draper combi 8-22.
    1 set cheap combi 8-32.
    1 set deep off set snap on ring, 9-22.
    1 set ratchet swivel head combi 8/19
    1 set 'star' double ended 6-19
    1 set 'L' tube spanners, 8,10,12,14,17
    1/4" sockets , AF, Metric and BA
    3/8 Snap-on short sockets 6-32
    3/8 Snap-on long sockets 6,10,12,13,14,17.
    3/8 16 point sockets
    3/8 torques sockets
    1/2" sockets 8-22
    1/2" impact sockets.
    1" 32 and 34 sockets.
    plus assorted 'special adapted' AKA bent spanners, brake line spanners, adjustable,(as a last resort), points spanners, etc.

And that's in addition to my mobile tool boxes.

Took 50 years to accumulate and I still get caught out.
    Last edited by Peter; 17-05-2020 at 12:02 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    […]
    plus assorted 'special adapted' AKA bent spanners, brake line spanners, adjustable,(as a last resort), points spanners, etc.
    […]

Hello mate, I think that is where I'm headed ...

I have a number of cut and shunt spanners that have been cut with an angle grinder and welded back on a slight angle for a job, It is easy to do just buy some cheap spanners off Ebay you will probably only ever need it the once.

Dirk

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hello mate, I think that is where I'm headed ...
    As Dirk told me at the start of my resto, you can never have enough tools!!

... the satisfaction you get when you are able to complete a task is great, especially if it involves tools you have made/adapted for the purpose!

My favorite is a 13mm combi with the ring bent at 90 degrees, I can't get to the front carb' mounting nuts without it, even a crows foot wouldn't do, (reminder, I don't have a set of 3/8 drive crows feet spanners, yet ).

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have a number of cut and shunt spanners that have been cut with an angle grinder and welded back on a slight angle for a job, It is easy to do just buy some cheap spanners off Ebay you will probably only ever need it the once.

Dirk
    I don't know what the situation is in the UK but here there are Chinese 'bazaars' everywhere that sell 'everything' and a spanner is about 2€ for a 13mm combi. some are quite good.