Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Yes, that's what I thought too Phill .... but I don't think the Red9 torsion bars have a grub screw in the middle because they are free to rotate, so wouldn't the same concern about exiting the tubes apply to them?
    Alistair
    Firstly, apologies Steve for high-jacking your thread!

This is the last I'll say on the matter ...

I've done some more digging and have found lots of helpful information in a Forum thread from NovaNigel about 10 years ago. You can see it here ... http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...Bar-Suspension

With reference to my point about the grub screw above, Nigel says that the Red9Design EZ rider fitting instructions that came with his coilover kit explain that you don't HAVE to have sway away adjusters. The torsion bars DO need to be fixed in the centre point of the beam tubes, but this can be by using the standard grub screw fixing points in the tube, or using the sway away fixing point if you already have these installed. The aim is to securely fix the new bars into the beam tubes. The torsion bars have end rollers which provide the swivelling action required.

Hope this helps for anyone else who's considering front suspension upgrades.

In the meantime, Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing more work on your chassis as it nears completion!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Alisatair
    A few of us have red9 front end. Your findings are correct. The bar still requires the central locking point.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your comments everyone;
    The floor drops do have a front slope (as the eagle-eyed amongst you have spotted ;-)
    At a guess, the slope is 45 degrees, maybe a bit shallower.
    I'll be tip-toeing over speedbumps when this car eventually gets on the road.

I also have through-rods with coil-overs, the beam has sway-away type central adjusters - which as discussed are unnecessary with 'rods.
    I didn't go for the Red9 kit, I purchased the items separately (Rods from Limebug, Coilovers from protechshocks.co.uk). I am happy with the quality and it worked out 35% cheaper than the Red9 kit.

In fairness I haven't see the Red9 stuff in the flesh so maybe the quality *is* better,
    however the Red9 kit is designed with lowering of the front-end in mind, with the Nova we need stock height or better to keep the nose out of the dirt.
    Last edited by steve; 23-01-2018 at 09:10 PM.

I have also been running the £75 special coilover shocks at the front end, for about 6 years now & it's a daily driver. I had to run them as without them the front scrapes the speed bumps. I have them on the lowest possible setting which is enough to clear my local bumps. It is driven hard & I also have 2 batteries & a fuel tank up front & have not had any issues with the shock towers.

The chassis is looking very swish indeed and I'm very jealous of the Subaru 5 speed. If my ship comes in this year I'm hoping to be in a position to follow suit.

Did you know that Subarugears also do a rear disk brake conversion using (surprise surprise) Subaru parts. The big advantage is that the hand brake is a separate system from the disk calliper. It utilises the inside of the disk as a drum brake. That way you don't have to try to operate the calliper with a cable and all of the issues that are associated with sealing it.

Is the chassis back home yet?

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Blog Entries
    Update:
    I asked Flatlands to weld in some box section steel around the perimeter of the pan;
    this is primarily for strengthing purposes, with the useful side effect of lifting the body 30mm, to get some more 'air' into the cabin, and to help in keeping my toes away from the steering column as it passes through the bulkhead.

The floor drops are 3inch, so with the box section I get a total of a 4+inch drop.
    That for a 6"1 Driver in a Mk1 car, we'll see if that works later in the build ;-)

DSCN5827.jpg
    DSCN5826.jpg
    DSCN5825.jpg
    DSCN5824.jpg

Blog Entries

Looking good Steve, and with the 4" extra space I think you'll have plenty of room particularly with the flat floor which will allow you to get the seat as low as possible. The downside to the flat floor will be some flexing of the sheet metal. Perhaps add in some bracing in the floor area?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

They do do some nice work, but if you raise the body up by an inch will that not then cause problems with the lower side panels? don't they tuck under the chassis slightly? I cant really remember myself Ill have to look at mine tomorrow.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    They do do some nice work, but if you raise the body up by an inch will that not then cause problems with the lower side panels? don't they tuck under the chassis slightly? I cant really remember myself Ill have to look at mine tomorrow.

Dirk
    I've heard that too Dirk, but I managed to lift my body off the chassis with the lower panels still in place (they'd been de-seamed before the body was sprayed) by only removing a small section of lower body panel about 20mm X 300mm next to the driver's footwell. My Nova's a Mk2 ... maybe earlier or later Novas have slightly 'tighter' lower body panels??

PS .... Steve ... The quality of Flatlands' metalwork is very impressive!!

Alistair

Body up and sills intact.jpg

Body up without removing sills.jpg
    Last edited by BlueNova; 13-03-2018 at 03:04 AM. Reason: add photos

My understanding is that the original Nova had the side sills tucked under the floorpan. When the series 2 was introduced, the Elams raised the height of the car by adding an inch to the roofline and an inch to the body tub, which meant the side sills no longer wrapped around the chassis from series 2 cars onward.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns