Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?6723-Nova-Kitcar-Subaru-flat-six-PPC-mag

Hi Peter, My Eagle is running with no steel re-enforcing in the nose section. My front bottom section comes back to the chassic and bolt into those two holes on the front of the floorpan!! At the last George Old Car Show in February a guy walked by the Eagle and said Oh it fiberglass is Sh...! I called him back and asked him where his car was and he says no my Toyota is parked outside. I jumped onto my front mudguard and stand on the car and then I stepped over to the other side and he said really is this how strong fiberglass is . Have a nice day !

Hi Johan,
    yep, on a good day GRP is 20 x stronger than steel, also easier to repair, doesn't rust, absorbs impact better and can be altered easily. good stuff.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    The guys at Flatlands are going to fit the body for me;
    But first, a gazillion holes need grinding back and some significant the body refurb is required :-(
    They were asking if the car was previously owned by Bonnie & Clyde...

DSCN5801a.jpg
    DSCN5803.jpg
    DSCN5810aa.jpg
    DSCN5811aa.jpg

Blog Entries

Nice one, its always nice to have a fresh start.

Dirk

I didn't realise they undertook fibreglass work, but given they are true craftsmen they take pride in everything they do and want to do it right. No bodges in their work so you will have base.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    The guys at Flatlands are going to fit the body for me;
    But first, a gazillion holes need grinding back and some significant the body refurb is required :-(
    They were asking if the car was previously owned by Bonnie & Clyde...

DSCN5801a.jpg
    DSCN5803.jpg
    DSCN5810aa.jpg
    DSCN5811aa.jpg
    Seemed like a good idea at time I guess.
    S
    Last edited by Peter; 22-03-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Typo

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    I have chosen a Ford Sierra steering column for my build.
    (I also looked at the Rover SD1 column - still available at a great price Rimmer Bros. BTW).

The Sierra column (Mk1, 2 or Sapphire) is long enough for the Nova (I *think*) and has stalks for lights, wipers (+ intermittent), washers, indicators & hazards, allowing you to de-clutter the dash.
    The column is used on other Kitars, e.g. Cobras & Westfield’s and connectors are available from CBS:
    www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/steering-universal-joint-ford-sierra-triangle-end ,
    You can also buy bearings to support the column shaft as it routes through the front bulkhead (pictured).

IMG_20180428_150801.jpgColumn_expl.jpg column_bearing.jpg

There will be at least one UJ in play to route the column high enough to be well clear of the pedals.

The pics show a 325mm second-hand MoMo wheel (cheap on Ebay) bought to allow the dash to be set-up, this might be on the large side(?) we'll see.
    You may notice that the wheel is off-centre, allowing more knee-room and a less restricted view of the dash, I didn't pick-up on that when I bought it, but it might work well for the Nova?

The Sierra adapter 'boss' is also MoMo, much better quality than the Mountney equivalent which was poor quality with no provision for the centre-push horn. I learned that the hard way.

I bought the column complete with wiring loom connector plugs which I plan on re-using.

I didn't realise that the Sierra had the hazard on as well, that was the the reason why I went with the Metro column because that had all of the switches on the column. I went a step further and used the metro fuse box, that way I had all the relays and plenty of fuses as well, it took a week of evenings to work it all out.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    I now have a wheel for my car, and yeah that's singular.
    It is the FM Classic from Image Wheels. The size is 6.5 x 16 with an ET8 Offset, the PCD is Porsche 5x130. This is for the front; The tyre is: 195/60 R16, which gives a slightly smaller radius than the (Elam Standard) 205/70 R14.

I had to supply Image Wheels with the offset and the clearance for the axle bolt/cover plate and locating 'rings' on the front hubs so they could cater for that in the wheel centres, I ordered a single wheel so I could check the measurements. The backspace should be the same as a stock VW beetle wheel, so it shouldn't foul the suspension, I'm heading up to Flatlands next week to deliver some parts and try it on the Chassis.

It is a split rim wheel, the 'FM' in FM Classic stands for front mount, which means the bolts that hold the 2 halves together go in from the back. The outer rim is anodised silver, the wheel centre is powder coated in 'chrome paint', the inner rim is also anodised in a more hardwearing dull silver.

I'm happy enough with the quality and importantly the lightness of the wheel.
    The plan is to go for 8.5 x 16 at the rear with 245/50 R16s.

fmwheel1.jpg
    fmwheel3.jpg
    wheel6.jpg
    Last edited by steve; 09-06-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Images not appearing ...?