Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

That looks just the business Steve!

Despite having (and liking the originality of) a set of Slot Mags on my Nova, they're the original 14" ones and I'm realising I might have to change them to get a decent choice of tyres. Anyway, I've got a bit to go yet before I have to commit to that expense.

Have fun at Flatlands!

Alistair

Nice one, already looking forward to the Flatlands photos.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Interesting day at Flatlands;
    The next stage in the build is fitting the body to the chassis - and surprise: it's not a great fit.

The pics show the body as far back as it will sit on the chassis; in this position the front compartment is fouling on the height adjuster on the top tube of the beam, and the 2 top bolts that secure the beam are just 1mm away from the body...
    So a section the size of a shoebox lid will be cut out (from above the battery area) and extended out an inch or two to provide clearance.
    AND the front bulkhead of the cabin (the lower section behind the pedals - both sides) will also be cut and re-made an ~inch or so further back.
    There was some work needed here anyway to accommodate the new shape pedal assembly.

All this will allow the body to be mounted around ~30mm back from the position shown, so the front & rear bolt holes line up with the body flange.

The Fuel tank area repair 'buck' fitted well, as did my wheelarch repair sections (bottom picture in red) - thanks gents.

So there is a smell of fibreglass dust in the air, while I'm confident that the car is in the right hands, this is a crunch-time for the build - further update to follow.

IMG_20180613_150856.jpg
    IMG_20180613_150922.jpg
    IMG_20180613_150830.jpg
    IMG_20180613_141936_hdr.jpg

That back section of the body tub that curves versus the square chassis is pretty standard, see Jim's posts where he made a filler section for this recently as a comparison.

Also the front tubes always tend to be tight to the front bulkhead from memory

Still you're making good progress and the chassis/floorpan is looking pretty amazing. I agree with Dave the body doesn't fit well at the back of the Nova this is nothing unusual so I'm not convinced you need to make any modifications, why not just bolt it down where it sits now?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Seems pretty standard.

As David has said my rear corners were the same. In my case the body was bolted up to the chassis and then a template made insitu to glass to the rear corners to cover and allow a clean look.

Front axle is often tight too - I cut a letter box slot above the hump where my pump is mounted to access the Red 9 rack and allow clearance.
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

The two holes I created for my steering rack bolts on the front of my Red 9 Set-Up

They are only just about really required as they poke about 2mm further forward than the bulk head section

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I had a close look at the roof hinges the other day,
    I have the measurement of the actuators I plan on using
    and wanted to see where they would sit on the hinges.

Unfortunately the backing plate appears to have had a haircut at some point(?)
    so there's nowhere to attach the bottom of the hydraulic piston/actuator.
    I need a new backing plate welded in, maybe with a height adjustable bottom mount point for the actuators.
    Hinges.jpg
    I saw a build thread that featured adjustable length arms (a screwthread at the top mount) can I retro-fit that to old-school hinges?

The plastic bushes are Peugeot items right? Are they available?
    What finish have you used? Powder coat, black chrome?

The piston mount (on the front arm) is ~3.5 inches above the bottom bolt (fulcrum), I'm tempted to move it up a little, it seems a bit too low? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by steve; Yesterday at 09:16 PM.

I think the Sterling hinges are cut down in a similar fashion with the bottom of the ram just into the fibreglass.

the pivot point on the hinge can be fine tuned for maximum lift of the roof, but be careful not to move it to far up or the roof will go over centre which can cause the rams to bend.

Dirk