Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Since they are new a press would be the way to go, or failing that a large vice and a couple of appropriate size sockets.

Dirk

I agree with Alistair.
    Mask the bushes off, so much easier and in truth will make no difference to the overall affect...

Blog Entries
    I'm still ticking along with chassis prep;

I decided to bash out the traling arm bushes ;-) both bearings and tracks came out also.
    The part will be shot blasted for paint and I didn't want to leave anything on there.
    I had a drill hole welded-up (middle of top pic) where I re-routed the brake line.

The rear torsion bar brace (fill piece) and trailing arm pivot bolt 'locker' have been welded in.
    The semi-circular 'tab' is the mount point for the fuel tank.

The attach points for the chassis wiring loom and fuel lines have been welded to the tank (bottom pic)

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Steve,

With the careful attention to detail you're giving your chassis I still think you should reconsider your plan to go for the 'rat' look for the body, because people's 1st impression when they see it will be 'it's just another poorly finished Nova'

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Steve,

With the careful attention to detail you're giving your chassis I still think you should reconsider your plan to go for the 'rat' look for the body, because people's 1st impression when they see it will be 'it's just another poorly finished Nova'

Alistair
    I agree, Whilst I can appreciate one wanting a ·different look·, it has been done to death already and now it just looks like another botched job not finished.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents, I respect that view;
    I think the rat-look will work, but like most things in this build I'm not 100% sure, if it doesn't work then I will go for Plan B!
    Later this year, the body + Chassis + wheels will come together for the first time (right now they are in different locations) and I'll make the call.

The issues with painting are; finding a painter who understands the material/fibreglass,
    which will cost a few quid, the area where the canopy seal touches the body/paint is an issue (i.e. scratching the paint).
    Having said that a cheapo satin black blow-over does appeal to me as a Plan B. We'll see.

I'm not keen on the Rat look,I guess when it comes to looks we will all have our own opinion but I do quite like the satin Black. Given the quality of work so far I am sure the rest will be just as high a standard.

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Thanks Gents, I respect that view;
    I think the rat-look will work, but like most things in this build I'm not 100% sure, if it doesn't work then I will go for Plan B!
    Later this year, the body + Chassis + wheels will come together for the first time (right now they are in different locations) and I'll make the call.

The issues with painting are; finding a painter who understands the material/fibreglass,
    which will cost a few quid, the area where the canopy seal touches the body/paint is an issue (i.e. scratching the paint).
    Having said that a cheapo satin black blow-over does appeal to me as a Plan B. We'll see.
    I think that's the right way to go Steve. You can keep your options open, and if you decide to head in the direction of a 'Princess' rather than a 'rat', you won't be undoing any work that's previously been done.

Perhaps Mark can recommend a sprayer, or does anyone know who sprayed Jim's Nova?

I would recommend the guy who did mine here in Scotland if I could but that was over 30 years ago, (and I don't know where he lives now) ... and the paint's still remarkably good! I used to have a pint with him on a Friday night and he kept pestering me to let him paint my Nova but I couldn't afford it. Eventually he gave in and offered to do it for free if I bought the paint!!! How could I refuse? But I did give him a 'donation' to say thanks!

Alistair

I toyed with satin black and also graphite as on many top end cars I see here, but cost is an issue, as in NO money to spend on it so plain acrylic black it is, the original gel coat black has been so buggered about on the doors and rear wings it needs a paint job but 80% of the original is still good.

Always a hard choice so I hope you make a good one.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

The princess and her paint job.
    It did look stunning, but the little mare has decided to have acne in a few areas !!!
    Micro spots 😡😡😡
    Needless to say it is frustrating but that is what you can get with fibreglass ....