Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

... I'm seriously considering moving out ... to the garage with my beloved Nova!

Am I weird?

Keep the progress going Steve ... I'm looking forward to meeting you and your Nova one day!

Alistair

Alistair, Not wierd at all in my book. I once considered buying a garage with a room above it just so I could sleep there and spend maximum time on the car . Its a shame we won’t get to meet you at Stoneleigh, although Stratford upon avon (Shakespeare Country) is not far from Stoneleigh, pitch it to the misses as a combined car show come 60th getaway in a nice hotel and visiting Stratford . Just a thought
    Last edited by islandman; 06-01-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Steve, So does that mean your side panel voids are now totally water tight? No more damp and rushing wind blowing into the compartment from the side pods? Iíve always like the idea and look of bonded in panels, but also know the amount of times Iíve taken them off to access stuff that Iíd kick myself when I couldnít get to something. Having said that as you say with forward planning and built in conduits for wiring etc.. it could mean that no direct access is necessary. For me on your old Nova I have wiring, pipe work for heaters, limit switches etc.. all inside which require access. But youíve given me food for thought on the scooby Nova body.

On your new 3D printed vents the first photo of you squeezing it make it look tiny, then in the other photos it looks the size I was expecting. Angle of the shots can be deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Alistair, Not wierd at all in my book. I once considered buying a garage with a room above it just so I could sleep there and spend maximum time on the car . Its a shame we wonít get to meet you at Stoneleigh, although Stratford upon avon (Shakespeare Country) is not far from Stoneleigh, pitch it to the misses as a combined car show come 60th getaway in a nice hotel and visiting Stratford . Just a thought
    I wish!! ... great to see my Nova pals are routing for me! Unfortunately she's more 'Rabbie Burns' that 'Willie Shakes'

I last saw you and your car at Newark (maybe late 80's? ... your car was green and your ex girlfriend had her back to the camera) ... so I'm really looking forward to meeting you and your car (and your ex if she can make it!?! ... only joking, I meant your Mrs) sometime soon! Unfortunately, in Nova terms 'soon' equates to XX years!

Please post lots of photos of you, your Nova(s) and your family at Stones!

Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Alistair
    Her birthday is only one day, Stones is over two ! 😂😂

Great work Steve. Glassing in the side pods makes sense from a structural point of view. The box section should be really strong and rigid as a result casuing less body flex. I had an accident in my first Nova circa 1985 when I was hit in the side and ended up in hospital with a fractured pelvis. I wonder would bonded in side pods have saved me? The downside is limited access to the sides of the car but I'm guessing you've thought that one through and is this one of the reasons why you are using linear actuators instead of hydraulics?

Pity about the 3D print - I'm wondering would a slightly scaled down version be acceptable? I could try printing them diagonally on my print bed, then once the design had been finalised you could get them printed full size?

Alistair - my wife Alison and your wife would get on like a house on fire as both seem to share a similar disdain for the Nova (or maybe they're just jealous of the attention we give to the cars)? I often go for months without doing any work at all then spend days and days getting lots of things done (I used the holiday period to more or less complete my wiring). Maybe we should adopt Dirks approach and try and get one or two things done every day no matter how small a job they are, it's one less item off the list. It's too easy to become complacent then nothing gets done for ages.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Alistair
    Her birthday is only one day, Stones is over two ! 😂😂
    One each

Myself I find that given a concentrated list of things to buy, things to see and friends to meet, one day is enough.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Great work Steve. Glassing in the side pods makes sense from a structural point of view. The box section should be really strong and rigid as a result casuing less body flex. I had an accident in my first Nova circa 1985 when I was hit in the side and ended up in hospital with a fractured pelvis. I wonder would bonded in side pods have saved me? The downside is limited access to the sides of the car but I'm guessing you've thought that one through and is this one of the reasons why you are using linear actuators instead of hydraulics?

Pity about the 3D print - I'm wondering would a slightly scaled down version be acceptable? I could try printing them diagonally on my print bed, then once the design had been finalised you could get them printed full size?

Alistair - my wife Alison and your wife would get on like a house on fire as both seem to share a similar disdain for the Nova (or maybe they're just jealous of the attention we give to the cars)? I often go for months without doing any work at all then spend days and days getting lots of things done (I used the holiday period to more or less complete my wiring). Maybe we should adopt Dirks approach and try and get one or two things done every day no matter how small a job they are, it's one less item off the list. It's too easy to become complacent then nothing gets done for ages.
    Absolutely, all too easy to find another month has flown by with nothing done. When I go to the 'shed' even for an unrelated thing, I try to do something, however small, it builds up to a shorter list quite quickly. Last time it was just blend in the right scoop with filler and smooth off.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Really impressed at your attention to detail Steve, and just a bit jealous that you've been getting you're hands 'dirty' over the festive period.

I've not touched my Nova for about 2 months now and am getting serious 'shakes'! .... For the past few weeks it's been family get togethers (which is fine!), but also oil central heating combi boiler failure 3 weeks ago and won't get new one till Wed of this week at a cost of £4K (I'm now feeling the pressure on my Nova budget!), blocked drains, electronic handbrake failure on the everyday car, washing machine stopped spinning, not to mention a load of females in my house (I'm the only male apart from the dog) complaining about all of the above!

To top it all, I suggested to my wife that we could go to Stones this year to meet everyone. What's the problem with that I hear you ask .... it's just that my nearest and dearest turns 60 that very weekend and has no intention of driving all that way south for Novas!

... I'm seriously considering moving out ... to the garage with my beloved Nova!

Am I weird?

Keep the progress going Steve ... I'm looking forward to meeting you and your Nova one day!

Alistair

Hi Alistair, Sorry to hear you're unlikely to be at Stones, there are other well attended shows
    so maybe later in the year?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Steve, So does that mean your side panel voids are now totally water tight? No more damp and rushing wind blowing into the compartment from the side pods? Iíve always like the idea and look of bonded in panels, but also know the amount of times Iíve taken them off to access stuff that Iíd kick myself when I couldnít get to something. Having said that as you say with forward planning and built in conduits for wiring etc.. it could mean that no direct access is necessary. For me on your old Nova I have wiring, pipe work for heaters, limit switches etc.. all inside which require access. But youíve given me food for thought on the scooby Nova body.

On your new 3D printed vents the first photo of you squeezing it make it look tiny, then in the other photos it looks the size I was expecting. Angle of the shots can be deceptive.
    I didn't think about wind and damp entering the cockpit, but it is a handy bi-product of sealing things up.
    So yeah, I'll run in a 'through' electrical duct (to the engine bay), and one for the side pocket switches and one for the power feed to the actuator. Maybe some sound proofing on the body tub itself, and that should be it, no further access required, what could possibly go wrong? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Alistair, Sorry to hear you're unlikely to be at Stones, there are other well attended shows
    so maybe later in the year?
    Sounds like a plan Steve ... it'll keep me sane!
    Alistair