Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    That Gear box mount looks like it raises the engine & gearbox quite higher than the original beetle box. Will that cause engine to body clearance issues, I'm thinking inlet manifold. And the COG will also be higher causing more body roll.

Bushboy
    Its pretty much at the same height as having the subarugears gearbox mount, it needs to be that high for the gearbox flanges to clear the chassis horns. With a scooby engine it all seems to fit OK under the deck, but not sure on type 4, although that is lower than the type 1 beetle engine with its fan housing so should be OK I think

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    That Gear box mount looks like it raises the engine & gearbox quite higher than the original beetle box. Will that cause engine to body clearance issues, I'm thinking inlet manifold. And the COG will also be higher causing more body roll.

Bushboy
    You have got a point mate, and as Dave has suggested, raising (tilting-up) of the drivetrain is a 'feature' of any Subaru gearbox install onto a VW pan, not just my home-brew version.

My opinion is that it (COG/Body roll) won't be an issue on the road,
    but I'll have to wait until the tyres hit the tarmac to know for certain ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Looks like heat distortion in the tube where the brackets have been welded on for the mounting bolts. I'd suggest to Limebug that whilst they're taking a look at it, they send you a new straight one!

Alistair
    Agreed about the heat distortion, and that is what Flatlands suggested as well.

I have not seen the beam in the flesh yet. I will be collecting it from FL and heading up to Limebug myself (Stoke on Trent). It should be an interesting meeting

If going fuel injection, then there is a lot of room between the top of the engine and bodywork; looking from the back, there is not much more above the centre of the fan to that below it, with the oil filler sticking up a few inches above everything else. `¬)
    I think it seems to sit lower than the beetle engine, so COG shouldn't be too bad, although it does weigh more...
    Last edited by MartinB; 26-11-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Martin,
    Yeah love the T4, I plan on fitting aftermarket fuel injection, not the standard L-Jet (or is it K-Jet?) from the 411/412, this is due to availability of parts as you suggest, plus the mapping capabilities and reliability of modern FI.
    KISS still applies, as there are a number companies who can supply and fit/convert *any* engine, I spoke too a couple of them at Stoneleigh. Downside is that aftermarket FI kits are pricey.

I'd be looking to find *any* 2000cc T4 lump, e.g. CJ Engine code which appears to be the most common, is from a T2 van, they all have the same bore & stroke, even the Porsche 914 lumps.
    Having spent the last four weeks trying to map a single microsquirt unit I wouldn't take it that an "after market" EFi will be easy or P&P, it will not,
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Having spent the last four weeks trying to map a single microsquirt unit I wouldn't take it that an "after market" EFi will be easy or P&P, it will not,
    Point taken mate.

Blog Entries
    The EMPI rear disk brake kit has arrived, some folk (on US forums mainly) aren't keen on EMPI (quality) but it seems decent enough, they haven't skimped on the metal thickness that's for certain, if you dropped the caliper on your foot you'd know all about it.
    The disks in the kit were in a Porsche 5 Stud & Chevy wheel pattern, I wanted perforated/drilled disks so I've sent them up to a company in Scotland to be drilled to one of their standard patterns.

Today I picked up the gearbox from Mike Fletcher Engineering in Banbury.
    It has had the final drive changed to a (lower geared) 4.4:1 wheel & pinion, plus new seals, new nose cone, proper breather tube, replaced lots of missing bolts and ancillary fittings, looks great.
    Mike does a lot of work for Subarugears in the UK, A company called fellowsspeedshop are the UK rep for SG, but the Gearbox work is done by Mike.

The guys at Flatlands asked me to provide a Type 4 engine case to help them with the build, I bought one off Ebay for £100, it's a GE engine code, which is a late (1978/79) case with hydraulic lifters, not sure if I should use this case as a basis for a full rebuild? Any thoughts on the hydraulic lifters?

I have ordered a T4/Subaru Engine adaptor/Flywheel from Subarugears which appears to being delivered from OZ by bicycle...
    ...and the CV Joints/axles are on the way from the US, I've bought a lot of parts from US supplier moorepartssource on Ebay, a lot cheaper than UK suppliers and they seem reliable enough.

Once everything arrives I'll deliver to Flatlands, the floorpans are now on the chassis and the pedal box prep has been done. I'll take some pics when I'm up there.

IMG_20171212_184707_box.jpgIMG_20171212_190024.jpg

Mark at flatlands is normally good at keeping you updated with a photo build diary if you ask him, so no need to wait for a trip to get pictures ;}

practically every engine today has hydraulic lifters of one sort o r another and I wish my Mercedes Cosworth had the later head with them, would have saved me a whole heap of work and trouble.

II bought most of my VW parts, (Empi, Bugpack, Kennedy etc about $2,500 worth) from the States but this global shipping thing is killing it with shipping and import duty automatically added it double the price, in the good old days one took a chance as to getting stung import and tax or not but now it's automatic and in Spain it is 17% duty plus admin of 17€ plus 21% tax. ouch.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl