Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Update from Flatlands:
    I bought a CSP Torque bar kit, it made sense for suporting a heavier Type 4 Engine,
    As ever it wasn't a bolt-on fit, the 'ears' at the shock mount needed extending to clear the Subaru 'box.
    The Shocks are Spax Krypton from Machine7

I now have a cover-plate for the area removed to get the body to fit, plus a battery clamp.
    These are made of steel so I will get these plated or powder-coated, any thoughts on the best option?

The other bolts you can see in the front/boot area are for the anti-flop brackets

Blog Entries
    I am having a custom Fuel tank mounted on the chassis,
    it is slightly larger than stock, at 50 Litres capacity.
    I am using a large 'Aston' style fuel cap, centrally mounted behind the rear window.
    a VDO dip tube will connect to the fuel guage.

The body is propped-up a few inches in some of these pics.

There are more pictures on the link in my Sig bar in the Build_Part_IV folder.

Last edited by steve; 04-11-2018 at 10:32 PM.

As usual looking very good. Their work is outstanding, the fuel tank looks great, but isn't the body mount that it is attached to used by the Nova to support the rear end?

Dirk

I like the idea of the removable tank mounted to the chassis, this is one job I have on my list so your post is really helpful for ideas. Can the tank actually be taken off with vehicle without taking the body off using this method? Also looks like you went for mild steel rather than aluminium for the tank itself. How do you plan to coat the inside and outside to prevent rust?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    As usual looking very good. Their work is outstanding, the fuel tank looks great, but isn't the body mount that it is attached to used by the Nova to support the rear end?

Dirk
    I take the point. I will be having a anti-flop bracket of some sort at the rear,
    (I'm not using the fibreglass brackets that came with the kit).
    Flatlands mentioned attaching a bracket further back on the Chassis, e.g. near the frame horns, we'll see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I like the idea of the removable tank mounted to the chassis, this is one job I have on my list so your post is really helpful for ideas. Can the tank actually be taken off with vehicle without taking the body off using this method? Also looks like you went for mild steel rather than aluminium for the tank itself. How do you plan to coat the inside and outside to prevent rust?
    Yes, it's steel. Use of steel is a compromise. An Ali tank would need to be made off-site by a different supplier, then fitted by Flatlands.
    There is a lot that could go wrong with that kind of arrangement so I asked FL to handle everything.

The Fuel tank won't be coated internally with anything, outside will be painted, I'm looking at POR15.

The original plan was for the tank to be removable (via the rear window opening), but that didn't work out, so it's a body-off job should the tank need to be replaced.

POR also do a tank coating for the internal. I strongly suggestthat you do this as any "wet" fuel will rust the tank from the inside & then you will get pin holes not tomention rust particles clogingup pumps,filters & injectors.

I have a steel tank front mounted & used the POR tank seal. After ten years of daily use it is still intack & I get a lot of "wet" fuel every time I fill up when it is raining!!!!

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"