Page 29 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Alistair,
    The strip-down started this evening and yes, I am enjoying being a bit more hands-on ;-)

Can I ask what model of sand-blaster you own, and in what respect is it small?
    lack of throughput / compressor power?

Any recommendations for kit to do this kind job?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Steve,

I'm glad you're enjoying getting your hands dirty!

My compressor is essentially a home DIY model. It's a Tiger Airmaster 7/250 turbo (from Machine Mart) which produces 2HP and a max pressure of 8 bar, but it won’t sustain that pressure for long and you have to keep waiting for the pressure to build up again. I've had it for ages and it's great for most things, so I didn't think it was worth replacing it for a higher output just for this job.

My grit blast gun is Clarke SB3, which has a 1L container for abrasive grit (aluminium oxide). The container gets used up pretty quickly, so you have to keep filling it up, and the the aluminium oxide isn't that cheap if you're going through a lot of it. I did the work in the driveway, so it would probably be better if you could contain the grit and re-use some, but of course you run the risk of getting larger particles (ie rust!) incorporated in it which could potentially block the nozzle. Here's a photo of it when I was blasting the 'hard to get to' areas Grit blasting where flapper sander can't go.jpg

If you've already got the equipment I'd say have a go and see how you get on. Like me, you might manage to do some by grit blasting and the rest by flapper disc/wire brush drill/etc. However, if you're looking at buying a compressor, grit blast gun and all the grit you'll need for the job, I'd suggest pricing that against the cost of someone doing it for you.

Looking forward to seeing your chassis fully painted and ready for the body!

Cheers, Alistair

Hi Steve,

I have got a 200 Ltr tank and its OK for using with the blast cabinet but still a bit small for big jobs like a chassis, I had a Spitfire chassis blasted and powder coated for £100 Ok a few years ago, I think you would be much better getting it done by someone with the right kit, It will save you cleaning all the mess as well, and if they get it clean enough get it powder coated.

Dirk

I must admit I feel very guilty after reading this and other chassis rebuilds. All I did was drop the floors, fibre glass a hole in the rear left and coat with under seal and spray inside with Rustol. Still OK after 23 years but I must admit the frame head could be better.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

To all
    Please let peter finish the interior. Do not give him any ideas about other work or he will never finish it !!
    But then again, is a kit car ever finished 😂

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Thanks gents;
    I was looking at sand (or salt) blasting to get the chassis back to metal, I may even do this myself as the kit is pretty cheap. Plan B is using a chemical paint stripper...
    Any thoughts?
    I'm not a fan of chemical stripping, that stuff's just nasty, so I would ascribe to sand blasting where necessary and using whatever I could get my hands on to efficiently strip it withOUT using stuff like nitromors. I've recently had to use a 4" grinder with a brush head, and found it to be VERY effective at removing undesirable materials, so that's another option to add to the list, one I personally find to be much more effective than drill attachments... harsh enough to strip paint with extreme prejudice and if used properly, won't damage the metal.

When I did my floorpan and running gear I simply used red oxide primer to coat any unpainted areas then gave everything a few thick coats of hammerite paint which I brushed on. Most of it you cant see any way once the shell is fitted, but what you can see looks OK to me.

Having said that, my car has been very much a low budget build, whereas I can see that yours is very high end, so I can appreciate why you will be looking to achieve a far superior finish
    Last edited by Phill; 28-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Blog Entries
    I have had a couple of repair sections made for the front undertray, where the wheelarches were cut away.

The panels (made by poly-creation.eu) have now been glassed-in (they are going to 'taper' the step where the panel doesn't flow into the main section).

I also had the bottom of the side panels glassed back onto the main tub to solidify the body, this was missed when the side panels were glassed-in previously.

I think the car should have come out of the factory like this, with heater and wiring channels integral to the body tub. But then again what do I know?

The work is being done by Fibrecraft in Conington, there is still a fair bit to do on the body & canopy including an escape hatch.

Blog Entries
    I received the 3D printed dashtop vent from Shapeways;
    I'm happy with the look and feel of the vent, however the 'outer' wall of the vent was too thin at 1mm, and was squeezable (see pic) so I have had that increased to 1.5mm.
    That was the only design change required.

The plan is to use 4 of these on the car at the base of the screen; 2x Left hand inlet, 2x Right hand inlet, I'm also having ~2 conventional (round) vents further up the dash top, aimed at the middle of the screen.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Really impressed at your attention to detail Steve, and just a bit jealous that you've been getting you're hands 'dirty' over the festive period.

I've not touched my Nova for about 2 months now and am getting serious 'shakes'! .... For the past few weeks it's been family get togethers (which is fine!), but also oil central heating combi boiler failure 3 weeks ago and won't get new one till Wed of this week at a cost of £4K (I'm now feeling the pressure on my Nova budget!), blocked drains, electronic handbrake failure on the everyday car, washing machine stopped spinning, not to mention a load of females in my house (I'm the only male apart from the dog) complaining about all of the above!

To top it all, I suggested to my wife that we could go to Stones this year to meet everyone. What's the problem with that I hear you ask .... it's just that my nearest and dearest turns 60 that very weekend and has no intention of driving all that way south for Novas!

... I'm seriously considering moving out ... to the garage with my beloved Nova!

Am I weird?

Keep the progress going Steve ... I'm looking forward to meeting you and your Nova one day!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 05-01-2019 at 11:23 PM.