Page 11 of 147 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

I agree with Dirk, having it too square could cause the car to stop dead on a "hang" which could cause serious damage in itself, or tear the floor pan apart! A gradual slope would definitely be advised...
    Other than that... SHINY!!!
    Looking good!

Looks stunning, and very expensive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Its looking great, Flatlands do a very nice job. The floor drop at the front looks like it is very vertical (it might just be the photo) but if it is vertical I would highly recommend you take the drop froward towards the pedals and put it on a shallow slop. If you come to a high road bump the slope will scrape but you will get over if it is vertical you probably wont!!

Dirk
    Definitely a no-no on the vertical front on the drop section, but too late now but the sloping 'V' drop is the best as the seat rises as it moves forward as well as offering no resistance to speed bumps, bricks , etc. IMHO I would slope the first 10" to 12" at least on what you have.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I'm sure Steve will pipe in to clarify, but I think it must just be the camera angle as Flatlands have plenty of experience (as does Steve) and it won't be a pure vertical drop.

edit : mystery solved, zoom in on the photo and look at the weld line at the front, its a nice slope. Its a shadow that is making it look like a vertical drop
    Last edited by islandman; 22-01-2018 at 02:11 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Your chassis's looking really great Steve! All that shiny new metal in a lovely clean workshop ...

I was wondering how the coilovers would work with the torsion leaf suspension (ie won't it be too stiff, especially with a lighter body than the Beetle and its fuel tank?). However, I've been reading around the Forum tonight, and see it's possible to get torsion bars (which rotate) from Red9 to replace the torsion leaves.

As a cheap alternative to the Red9 torsion bars, does anyone know if it's possible to safely get the same rotational effect by simply unscrewing the grub screws and their securing nuts sufficiently (in the centre of the 2 beams) to allow the torsion leaves to rotate?

Also, has anyone already fitted coilovers to the standard front beam and driven their Nova hard enough to satisfy them that the damper towers are strong enough to take extra load from the springs?

I'm some way off doing the suspension, but am just trying to think things through in advance.

Cheers, Alistair

I've had coil overs since about 2007 on a very lowered suspension set-up with no problems whatsoever. (the stock shocks had lost their damping) I've had to replace them once three or four years back when the MOT guy decided they were leaking....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post

As a cheap alternative to the Red9 torsion bars, does anyone know if it's possible to safely get the same rotational effect by simply unscrewing the grub screws and their securing nuts sufficiently (in the centre of the 2 beams) to allow the torsion leaves to rotate?
    I think loosening the grub screws will result in the torsion bars being free to exit the tubes altogether along with the wheel and hub
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I think loosening the grub screws will result in the torsion bars being free to exit the tubes altogether along with the wheel and hub
    Yes, that's what I thought too Phill .... but I don't think the Red9 torsion bars have a grub screw in the middle because they are free to rotate, so wouldn't the same concern about exiting the tubes apply to them?
    Alistair

Without a centre grub screw the whole assemble would be free to rotate. I have left my top Sway-away free so I only run on the bottom bars unless it hits the stop on the top one under extreme load.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

Yes, I can see the 'skip' version now, just the shadow misled but I had more like this in mind.
    Each unto their own.

floor.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 23-01-2018 at 12:21 PM.