Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 422

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

  1. #411
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Nice engineering Steve. They look expensive! ... presumably you only need 6 or 8 of them for the roll cage and steering column, so why use them all round? (if indeed you are?)

    Must say I'm really looking forward to seeing your 'rat look' Nova up close one day with all that 'hidden' quality engineering underneath!!

    Keep the updates coming!

    Alistair
    Cheers man, yeah we'll see.
    I plan on using one for the bottom seat belt mount as well, some details to be worked out there...

    This is the prototype, I am getting another made which has a shorter & wider clevis head which (because the clevis itself is a couple of mm wider that mount). The Mk2 will also have a 3mm longer bolt.

  2. #412
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Have to agree with you here. For all the metal involved, a bit of 'belt & braces' looks like a good move, especially at the 'body off' stage ... I might just do the same ... unless you've copyrighted it already!

    Alistair
    Hi Alistair,
    This is the design FYI.
    BUT it will only fit on cars with a box section preimieter welded in.
    So you will have to tweak the design.
    I am getting mobile welder in to fit these and a few other bits.
    It is a faff getting this organised and I' m thinking that maybe I should have bit the bullet and bought my own kit.


    Chassis_Tabs.jpg

  3. #413
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not the most exciting set of photos, but they do represent progress.

    I have extended/converted the 'ports' at the base of the fuel tank 30mm downwards so that I'm now using standard banjo fittings and the fuel lines can run a bit more sensibly.

    On the near side of the tank base (pic) is the fuel filter and pump, 8mm ID fuel line will be used.
    The return banjo is the second from the far end in the photo, the fuel tap is in the middle, it points to the front of the car (a narrow gauge fuel line runs inside the clutch tube) to a front mounted petrol heater.

    At the very end of the pic is a fuel drain plug.

    The fuel tank will be used to secure the chassis wiring loom when it exits the main tube, there will be
    a chassis fuse box attached to the tank, mounted high, and accessible when the window tunnel is removed.
    The wiring will run along the top edge of the tank, towards the pointy end of the tank and into the engine bay.

    All the mount points for the various clips and mounts have been marked on the tank (pictured) there are ~30 of them, all mounts/clips require welding or braising onto the tank itself, that is the next job.

    I will then pressure test and paint the tank myself.
    The internals of the tank need a good flush-out, but I decided against using tank-sealer paint, as there is a fine metal filter within the tank itself and I'm pretty sure it will be clogged by the sealant.










  4. #414
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Alistair,
    This is the design FYI.
    BUT it will only fit on cars with a box section preimieter welded in.
    So you will have to tweak the design.
    I am getting mobile welder in to fit these and a few other bits.
    It is a faff getting this organised and I' m thinking that maybe I should have bit the bullet and bought my own kit.
    Thanks Steve. I'll maybe just make up some cardboard templates and see what shape would fit best. It's never too late to bight the bullet. You've no idea how satisfying it is once you master the 'sizzling bacon' .... and as I know Dirk would agree, you can never have enough tools! Whilst there's not much more to weld on the Nova, my next welding job will be the road trailer for my catamaran.
    Cheers, Alistair

  5. #415
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Riding
    Posts
    1,361
    Nice update Steve and the tank looks very impressive, a couple of points though the fuel pump needs to be at the lowest point so it is always full of liquid they do not last very long when they have to pump air, and are you sure that 8mm ID hose can deliver the volume of fuel that the pump requires? I started with 8mm and it made the pump scream but going up to 12mm makes the pump run a lot quieter.

    Dirk

  6. #416
    Senior Member bushboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grays Essex
    Posts
    2,349
    It has been a while since I last had time to surf the Nova Forum. It is good to see the progress made on the various projects.

    Do you really need a mesh inside the tank with a nice external filter? Tank seal will not be the only thing wanting to clog the mesh. Given time your tank will rust internally and then you will have rust particles clogging it. Just a thought for your subconscious to ponder.

    Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

  7. #417
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice update Steve and the tank looks very impressive, a couple of points though the fuel pump needs to be at the lowest point so it is always full of liquid they do not last very long when they have to pump air, and are you sure that 8mm ID hose can deliver the volume of fuel that the pump requires? I started with 8mm and it made the pump scream but going up to 12mm makes the pump run a lot quieter.

    Dirk

    Hello mate, The pump sits low, its the lowest point in the system, if there is air in the pump, then I'm walking to the petrol station ;-)

    hmmm interesting to hear about the noisy pump...
    I took advice about the use of the fuel line (it is actually 12mm in the short distance from tank to pump, reduced to 8mm on the outlet from the pump) so 8mm for the majority of the length.
    I'll stick with 8' for now as I have all the lines and fittings, but I appreciate the heads-up on this.

  8. #418
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    It has been a while since I last had time to surf the Nova Forum. It is good to see the progress made on the various projects.

    Do you really need a mesh inside the tank with a nice external filter? Tank seal will not be the only thing wanting to clog the mesh. Given time your tank will rust internally and then you will have rust particles clogging it. Just a thought for your subconscious to ponder.

    Bushboy

    Hello mate, I can't argue with that, but I'm past that point, I sticking with it as is.

  9. #419
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    866
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just doing some prep for paint; How do you get the trailing arm bushes out?
    I gave the central tube decent whack with club hammer, nothing doing...?

    TralingArmBush.jpg
    Last edited by steve; 17-08-2019 at 08:35 PM.

  10. #420
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Just doing some prep for paint; How do you get the trailing arm bushes out?
    I gave the central tube decent whack with club hammer, nothing doing...?
    Steve, remember that since I've done the ball joints on my front beam I've now got a 20t press sitting here which would do the trick ... if you could bring your chassis up to Scotland?

    Seriously, if you can't get your hands on a suitable press, I'd just get the masking tape out because it'll only be the MOT guy who'll see it!

    Alistair

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •