Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

cough....vinyl wrap..cough...
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    cough....vinyl wrap..cough...

You should take some honey & lemon for that cough mate ;-)

Blog Entries
    I'm using a Polo Mk2 steering rack with a custom bracket, one of the downsides of this set-up is that there are no end-stops to prevent the wheels turning too far and fouling against the body.

I had a 'tongue' made from 3mm Stainless (top of the first picture) and today's job was to work out the shape of the 'stopper' bracket, it's a tight squeeze to create something meaty enough to do the job, but which stands clear of the steering rack boot.

Anyway, I now have cardboard mock-up, 26x41mm with an M8 fully-threaded hole, there will also be 2 threaded holes through the thin part of the bracket, the bolts will come up from below. I'll get 2 of these made up in stainless.

At times like this you wish Dirk was your next door neighbour ;-)

I had a similar issue on my Triumph Dolomite rack. The method I used to overcome this was a small rectangular piece of metal (maybe 10mm x 5mm) that I put inside the rubber boot and strapped to the steering rack section that comes out of the casing. This was enough as it simply butted up against the end of the rack and the housing stopping it going in too much (hence limiting the travel). A bit of experimentation was all that was needed for the right size of metal to limit travel.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I had a similar issue on my Triumph Dolomite rack. The method I used to overcome this was a small rectangular piece of metal (maybe 10mm x 5mm) that I put inside the rubber boot and strapped to the steering rack section that comes out of the casing. This was enough as it simply butted up against the end of the rack and the housing stopping it going in too much (hence limiting the travel). A bit of experimentation was all that was needed for the right size of metal to limit travel.
    Sounds like the same solution I used on my Ford Cortina rack, only I used a pair of Jubilee clips around the rack which prevent the steering from going to full lock by hitting the body. The clips sit inside the track rod gaitors.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Sounds like the same solution I used on my Ford Cortina rack, only I used a pair of Jubilee clips around the rack which prevent the steering from going to full lock by hitting the body. The clips sit inside the track rod gaitors.
    I tried that too, but found the screw section of the jubilee clips rubbed on the gator, so wanted something more slimline.

Blog Entries
    After Seeing Islandman's low-profile handbrake (one with no upward protruding bolts/cables),
    well, I'm borrowing that idea; it's the sincerest form of flattery, Dave.

I will flatten the topside spigot as well. I'll get the rounded triangular bracket made up in 6mm steel.

Last edited by steve; 14-10-2019 at 09:40 PM.

The Avante uses a handbrake from a mini twin cable system that has he cable and locking nuts behind the pivot point so low down and at the rear, bit I guess there would be just as much work making a bracket for that.

Dirk

Same way I did mine. Works great. If you create the hole in the bracket in the correct location, you can lock the body of the cable "holder" against the hand brake and it makes adjusting easier.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416