Page 93 of 147 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova Kitcar Subaru flat-six PPC magazine project car or scoobynova.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Cheers man. The stainless plate that the column passes through is needed to run the car with the body off (only), I plan on giving the chassis a full shakedown without the body. The plate will come off when the body is mounted.

Makes sense, I did wonder if that was the case to make the chassis fully drive-able..... So are you taking it to a private road / track.....or run up and down your street in the dead of night ?

Really nice installation great detail, the track rod vertical clearance looks very tight with the steering shaft ,I imagine with suspension compression on full lock it gets close

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It is all looking very good.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    No big updates to report from this build, a few jobs ticking along around the edges though:

Getting the seats up to snuff has been a saga, and I wanted to address the gelcoat quality,
    there were 15-20 blemishes on each seat, most of them fairly small, I used this kit to
    repair them: https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co....ir-kit-3-clear

The process is to open up the crack/blemish with pointed object (nail/small screwdriver), clean with Acetone, mix & fill the blemish with gelcoat, sand flat with coarse/fine wet+dry paper, then polish with compound.
    Some repairs had a plastic release film applied to flatten the gel coat whilst curing.
    All the above is in the kit.

The result is OK (big improvement) but not perfect, but I am happy enough though.

Then I sanded the entire 'coat with 800, then 1200 wet and dry (bottom pic) next job is to polish again with compound.

I have started the final finish with this polisher, so far so good, it's a nice piece of kit.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries
    I did a trial fit of the Engine adapter plate, flywheel & clutch, clutch plate.
    I am running a Subaru gearbox, with a VW Type 4 lump,
    the flywheel is effectively the adapter for the drivetrain, the outer adapter plate being the physical engine mount. The engine hangs off the 'box as per the original Beetle so there are no engine mounts as such.

The Subaru flywheel is larger than the Type 4 (first pic), but the weight is the same (5.8Kg)

I didn't fit the engine as I was on my own and I would prefer to have a hoist on hand,
    but the good news is all the bolt holes line up, the kit hangs together.

This was a worthwhile exercise as I needed order 3 sets of bolts to complete the installation.
    I have a question for the Scooby guys that I will post in a minute...

The flywheel was shipped with a patch of surface rust visible in the lower 2 pics :-(
    Anyway I have now cleaned it up with wire wool soaked in rust converter, and applied some ACF50 to protect it.

Blog Entries
    This pic shows the Subaru clutch assembly, sitting on the new (Subarugears) flywheel,
    it looks like I need a dowel (or somesuch) which fits through the 2 holes on the leftish of the pic?
    (the lower hole is 9mm, upper hole is 6mm), so this is a Subaru part? What is the part name?
    I will need 3 of them.

I have a 'pull' Subaru clutch which is unusual, most are 'push'.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Sorry Steve, I can't help with the technical info ........... but the photos are the dog's b*lllocks!! Stunning attention to detail on your build!

I can not find any photos from my build, but I do not remember any pins on the fly wheel, in any case they would only be there to help with the initial installment whilst you get the bolts in so I would not worry about it. I would hope the flywheel has been balanced so the bolts will be spaced evenly perhaps adding an extra pin would upset that a bit?

Dirk

Hi Steve
    dowel pins are necessary to align the pressure plate and prevent the clutch from chattering and possibly loosening the bolts, they are usually made of hardened steel for a reason, so intended to add torsional strength, step down pins are available or you could get some machined
    Mike

Steve,
    Nice to see some progress.
    Remind me, what did Subarugears NOT do for you? I know you had a lot of trouble trying to get replies etc, which I can confirm, Todd is not brilliant at replying to emails.

I side with Dirk in that if the bolts are a snug fit then the dowels are not that important and help align the pressure plate when assembling. However, if they are available off the shelf, I'd fir them.

I am looking forward to starting my 5 speed conversion, just need to finish the GolfKart.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"