Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project UFO

Project UFO

I just got told about an American TV series from the late 70's early 80's that featured a Nova. It was called project UFO but I don't recall ever seeing it on British TV.

The episode that features the car can bee seen here about 5 mins 30 seconds into the episode:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GiBpANxh48
    Last edited by Phill; 26-02-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Like the look of the black interior at rear of seats. Couldn't see the headlamps ( pop-up?)
    Looks cool in that colour.
    Cheers
    Colin

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Yes, I like the work on the rear bulkhead.

I do remember the series, it was on ITV after I got home from school, probably around 1979 or 1980. Every episode featured an alleged UFO encounter from the Project Blue Book files, and was accompanied by the very best high tech special effects the era could muster (think Dr Who and you've got it). Plots were so predictable (even for children) that it got a bit boring after a while.

I wonder if this programme/episode prompted the oft-repeated story that the Nova was used in Gerry Anderson's UFO series?

Well spotted Phill - how many episodes did you have to sit through to find it???

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I think I remember that series too, though I guess it's a Sebring not a Nova - did you spot the cut-away drawing they're looking at in the office before going out to see the car? It's the same one that came with Ant's car, which I scanned and I think is in the downloads section.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I guess it's a Sebring not a Nova
    Sterling surely? 100% Mk1 Nova, and the cutaway drawing was the one produced by CCC... I think!

Darn it, the more I think about it the more it fits - the guy I spoke to at Brooklands clearly knew his cars and was absolutely adamant that the Nova had appeared in a programme called UFO, which I naturally thought was the Gerry Anderson production.

So it would appear that a mystery has been solved, just not the one the programme makers intended!

Lauren

Bingo! Just watched the credits and the Sterling Motor Company get name-checked.

Don't know why I wrote Sebring when I meant and was thinking Sterling - Senior moment........
    Last edited by Alzax3; 26-02-2017 at 08:41 PM.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

:-) One of our guys just link this thread, so just saw that clip for the first time. Yep, the aerial shot is the Paramount lot in Hollyweird; the yellow Sterling I'm still looking to see if I can find a record on it somewhere. It did have hidden pop-ups for the headlights, and the later TR7 taillights. Funniest part of that clip was where he said he had 'something left over' after building the kit!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    so where does that bit go?

Quote Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
    :-) One of our guys just link this thread, so just saw that clip for the first time. Yep, the aerial shot is the Paramount lot in Hollyweird; the yellow Sterling I'm still looking to see if I can find a record on it somewhere. It did have hidden pop-ups for the headlights, and the later TR7 taillights. Funniest part of that clip was where he said he had 'something left over' after building the kit!
    Would it have been a factory demonstrator do you think? Otherwise I wouldn't have expected the manufacturer to take the credit...

That interior trim work is pretty distinctive too, I would be surprised if the car hasn't featured somewhere...

Lauren

PS - running the credits to the end shows the episode is dated 1978 (MCMLXXVIII)!
    Last edited by Spacenut; 27-02-2017 at 08:59 PM.