Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project UFO

Just got a message from Cecil Robertson (who owned CCC the company that produced the Sterling back in the 1970's)

"The only demonstrators we ever had at CCC inc. was a Lime Green one and an Orange one...A customer of ours in Southern California, (Lance Scroggins) owned a Yellow Sterling and he managed to get his car in several movies...one was Death Race 2000 and there were others but I don't no which they were...Plus, there was a TV series where the Star of the show as his hobby, assembled a Sterling during the series...Lance had some contacts with the film industry. That's all I got for now."
    Last edited by Phill; 28-02-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Wow - even more interesting. So the car in Project UFO may also have been in Death Race 2000? Now that is some provenance!

...Actually I'm not so sure now. There are a few stills on IMCDB which show that the rear lights are Bedford CF units, not the TR7 lamps, and the overall colour of the DR2000 car is more mustard yellow, with a black stripe running along the join line between the sills and the body. Not saying it couldn't be the same car, but it would have had to be upgraded and repainted between 1975 and 1978...

Lauren
    Last edited by Spacenut; 28-02-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Smile

The show that triggered my interest in this still futuristic kit car was Project U.F.O. which was broadcasted on a Belgian television channel. I live in the Netherlands and in the early eighties, besides the domestic channels, only the Belgian and German TV could be received on cable.

In those days, of course we had only magazines and books to investigate or look up of what you might have seen on TV so it took a while before I found out it was a Nova which dropped my jaw. Years later I saw the car on a local car show. There was a one-man company in Amsterdam (called Nova Import) who was building Buggy’s and Nova’s. He was quite active and there must be around fifteen Nova’s still in the Netherlands, about two or three on the road and others to be subject of restoration (like the one I own..)

Years ago I contacted a guy who was the owner of the Project U.F.O. website (it was long before YouTube) and asked him about an appearance of a flashy yellow sports car in one of the episodes, because I wasn't sure if my memory served me right seeing that car in the series. At that time he was uploading all the episodes of season one (there are 2 seasons) on the internet but didn't encounter the Nova/Sterling, but he was aware of a "yellow car" in one of the episodes.
    He told me it had to be in season two, which wasn't uploaded that time, later, that turned to be right.

Recently, during Christmas Holiday I took some time to scan the episodes of season two on You Tube and found out it was the "Sighting 4024: The Scoutmaster Incident" episode, where the Nova appeared. So it took me about 36 years to prove that my memory didn't play tricks on me.... So I had to tell Phill about my discovery.

In my memory I was pretty sure that there was also an appearance of a large (1:12 scale) scale model of the Nova, unfortunately that wasn't so. In the particular episode a character is fondeling with a scale model of a yellow Corvette or Camaro. But that's subject for another topic: Scale Models of a Nova.

Good to see you here Rob. I hope you will start a thread with your renovation project, I'm sure there'll be a lot of interest in seeing your work
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Thanks Phill, a bit off topic: I am in the process of organizing things. Main task for now is welding lowered floorpans in my IRS chassis and making arrangements in Germany by a company to modify the front axle to make use of 4-pot Porsche 944Turbo Brembo brakes and discs. So be patient, I will come back with pictures and stories.