Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very smart looking dash

A very smart looking dash

I thought I would share the link of a very smart looking dash that Brett from the Sterling site has come up with, its not finished yet but its also not very far off now either. The most important thing is that it fits!

http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/membe...html#post19962

Looks great David, and very much like a Ford Fiesta dash. If it is, do you know if it's more or less a straight fit?
    Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Looks great David, and very much like a Ford Fiesta dash. If it is, do you know if it's more or less a straight fit?
    Alistair

Lol...well spotted you know your dashes!

Well its not exactly a straightforward fit, a few pointers as I understand it :

1) Its wider than the Nova, so the ends of the dash need trimming to fit and then if you don't plan to make a mold and just cover it you will need to make ends and blend in prior to covering.

2) It's deeper than the Nova dash so you need to cut some off and make a front section to bond to the Ford dash.

3) the bottom section around the tunnel (cream part) will need reworking and probably making a mold and final part out of.

4) To get the stereo, HVAC controls, gauges and other switchgear to work you will need the ford body computer from the car and all the wiring etc..

So in summary its no small feat to achieve a fitting work dash, but is does look the dogs B*&^ks

Also if you want some real inspiration and to get a feel for Brett's fibreglass skills grab a glass of wine and work your way through his car build on their site. It's what inspired me to have a go at making molds etc..
    Last edited by islandman; 03-03-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

So in summary its no small feat to achieve a fitting
    Also if you want some real inspiration and to get a feel for Brett's fibreglass skills grab a glass of wine and work your way through his car build on their site. It's what inspired me to have a go at making molds etc..
    Och, and there's me trying to give up the wine! Thanks David, sounds like a good way to spend this evening! Cheers, Alistair

I see where you got your ideas from Dave.....

One problem I see is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side

Colin

yes we all need a bit of inspiration to get us moving , Brett is a nice guy, very helpful and supportive
    Last edited by islandman; 06-03-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Some updated dash shots, this really does suit the Nova shape

http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/membe...html#post20116

I think it needs a smaller steering wheel though, what's the dash? Fiesta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well spotted, yes.

In the scheme of things the steering wheel is an easy fix, bolt-on. The hard work and imagination is getting the dash to fit, which in this case he has done very well. I never initially thought it would fit but it does, however don't underestimate the work it took to get it to this stage.
    Last edited by islandman; 25-03-2017 at 11:58 AM.

It does look very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk