Thread: Logic behind Serial number and manufacturing date body

Logic behind Serial number and manufacturing date body

Hi,

Question, about the logic concerning the serial numbers, my Nova MK1 body has serial number 10680 and the production date is June 13-th 1980. Does this mean this is the 10-th body build of the Mk1 series (first 2 digits)? Are the last 3 numbers representing the manufacturing date? Who can help me out?
    Cheers,

Rob

Illegitimi non carborundum

1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT

I'm pretty sure Lauren will have the definitive answer to this. Meanwhile yours sounds like an early Elam era car - David (Islandman) has a complete unused Kit dating back from the same time around 1980 so maybe his serial number can shed some light in comparison to yours. My own thoughts are maybe this is simply the date when the gelcoat was first laid down - the shell would probably have take about three days before it was pulled from the mould - hence manufacture date 13/06/80 as opposed to starting date 10/06/80 ?
    Last edited by Phill; 04-03-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

The earlier pre-Elam cars had a much shorter serial number, created by placing a length of 'Dymo' Print in the mould - the updating of this seemed to often get overlooked, which is why my car, DJ Harrys and I think two others that we know about had the same numbers.... It would be nice if the Elams had some sort of system to their numbering!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    I've never found the serial number on my Nova. It's a 1983 Elm Mk 2. Does anyone know where I should be looking?
    Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    My first car, an early Mk 1 Elam, was body no 6680, which I took to be car number 66 of 1980,
    but I have no evidence to support that.

The car had an aluminium plate pop riveted onto the body, to be found in the boot (i.e. at the front near the battery) with this and some other information on.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I don't actually know for sure, but if the serial numbers follow a typical Lot Date Code (LDC) format, the numbers could represent the day of the year, followed by the year of manufacture. So reNOVAtor's code could mean Day 106 of 1980, rather than the 106th car made in 1980 (which would have been a pretty large number for a mid-year production total). As that works out at April 15th, it would seem that Phill's theory is more likely to be correct, given that 10th June 1980 is only 3 days shy of reNOVAtor's recorded date of manufacture. In fact, it probably took 3 days to assemble the parts for the kit following removal of the body from the moulds.

By the same logic, Steve's first Nova would have been manufactured on 6th June 1980, only a few days before reNOVAtor's car.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    My Nova has the same difference between my model number 71080 and manufactured date 101080 also 3 days. I would take that as pulled from the mould on the 7th Oct 1980 complete and ready to sell on the 10th Oct 1980.

Dirk

Thanks so far for the research guys, it seems to be that a simple sequence of production numbers is non-existent. The aluminium tag of my car is found on the body work just in front of the upper torsion bar of the front suspension. As manufacturer Nova Cars LTD - and as location Bradford is listed.
    Cheers,

Rob

Illegitimi non carborundum

1983 Nova GT Project , customized 1981 Honda CBX1000, 2008 Pontiac G8 6.0 GT

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    My Nova has the same difference between my model number 71080 and manufactured date 101080 also 3 days. I would take that as pulled from the mould on the 7th Oct 1980 complete and ready to sell on the 10th Oct 1980.

Dirk
    I think that clinches it then - day/month/year. It's a shame the plate was removed/never fitted to my shell as it is clearly an Elam Mk1 but beyond that I cannot say

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!