Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoneleigh 2017

Now that looks like a proper mid engine car. Have you sorted gear change linkage and drive shafts?, l look forward to seeing it at Stones.

Dirk

That looks like an impressive lump, what is the expected BHP out of one of those units?

Now you have to put your Nova body on that chassis and engine setup

Thank you! Yes, the Alfa V6 would be marvellous, but as you say Lauren, the Audi lump gives a much needed VAG connection. Sadly, the K series engine is a stumbling block for the uninitiated and/or VW obsessed, so I needed another option.

Driveshafts are on order, but I have to wait behind a long queue of grass track racers - this seemed like a good proving ground for the product. They're manufactured from a steel billet rather than welded together, so they're a bit dear, but very reliable. Would you believe that the MGF cable shift arm fits the Audi selector shaft?! The cables might need replacing for slightly longer ones, but otherwise I'm planning to keep the MG gear selector setup.

The lump produces about 170bhp in standard form, hopefully a bit more with all the emissions gubbins in the skip. Not huge, but lots of torque, and a K series would be a bit pushed at this level. Even in 2001 Audi were using fly by wire throttles and variable intake length manifolds but most of this looks like it can be simplified in my Luddite fashion to run with an Emerald ECU and a (slightly Chavvy-looking) aftermarket throttle body with a throttle cable.

Haven't tried a Nova body yet - I had to grab the opportunity to paint the chassis when I could and I don't want to damage the paint now it's done. I suspect you might find it a bit tight, David, as the front bulkhead is 90mm further forward than the chassis you sat in last year. However, transverse installations keep the original chassis dimensions so you could still fit a V6 out of an Audi TT or Golf R...or an MG ZS...

I'd like to get this chassis on the road asap, so once again I think a buggy is the best option. I still quite like the idea of a ratty matt black Charger with slot mags running a biturbo V6 though.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I am so coming to look at that on the Sunday Ed.
    Now how can I make my garage bigger for another project !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edmorton View Post
    ... the front bulkhead is 90mm further forward than the chassis you sat in last year...
    Ed,

Where does that put the bulkhead in relation to the centerline of the rear axel, in terms of the horizontal distance...?
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edmorton View Post
    The front bulkhead is 90mm further forward than the chassis you sat in last year.
    That was always going to be the problem with an in-line V6 under a Nova bodyshell - the styling places the driver too far back, and there isn't enough headroom to tuck the engine under the occupants, something that you can do with a boxer engine (well, a 4-cylinder SOHC at any rate).

As you say, a different kit car body like the Siva Saluki/MBC Charger will work better.

Can you eke a bit more room by moving the gearbox back and angling the driveshafts forward a bit? It's got to be a Nova really, there isn't another 70s kit car that looks anywhere near as good!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

There's about 600mm clearance from the wheel centre to the back of the bulkhead (bearing in mind the bulkhead angles forward so there's a bit more clearance around the centre tunnel. The Audi is approximately 620mm from the wheel centre to front pulley.

I guess I need a get a Nova body on it first though...

Driveshafts are already angled a bit Lauren, although the chassis doesn't help in this regard. Scope for changing things though, it's definitely a prototype at the moment!

Anyway, please come and have a look. I'm suffering Nova withdrawal symptoms!

Ed,
    Why are you doing this for? Creating all these tempting engine alternatives in a nice space frame chassis that will fit under the Eureka shell!!!,

The Mazda V6 in the reek is supposedly 170 horses, not quite that many now as it is a tired motor, however, if time permits, & you ant to experience 170ish horses in a Eureka, come & track me down & I can give you a Nova fix.

See you really soon

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I've just been out and measured, and that 600mm would fit a Bug engine and (flipped-diff) gearbox with some wiggle room to spare....For those who prefer not to put water in their engines

Really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh and having a chat...
    cheers

Paul

Our local scrap yard is full of MG V6s at the moment, (well three!) handsome looking engine and that alluring '190' badge - almost tempted to throw £100 at one of them but must not get distracted from the K series!
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*