Thread: The New Sterling Sports Car

The New Sterling Sports Car

It's official now...Bob Welsh bought Sterling Sports Cars from David.

https://sterlingsportscars.com/

all good news! still a little work to finish on the new site, but looking good.

I went through the 'Customer Gallery' and was surprised to see pic 32 and 33 of 42, as its my car! (that's made my day!)
    Really really must get some work done on it this year! `¬)

P.S. the first yellow cars seem to have a different hinge system, with fixed hinges at the very front and then the lifting ram... anybody have any info on this system as I've not seen them like that before?
    Last edited by MartinB; 02-04-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post

P.S. the first yellow cars seem to have a different hinge system, with fixed hinges at the very front and then the lifting ram... anybody have any info on this system as I've not seen them like that before?
    That is the Italian derivative of the Nova, the Puma. They all hinge at the front

Is there any build info on that? The link on the Wikipedia article 'external links' to the http://www.pumaclub.it/ doesn't seem to exist anymore?

I think Phill covers it in his book....
    It's a 48 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I think Phill covers it in his book....
    Thanks Alex, I had a look and there is a Puma photo on page 39 and a note that it hinges from the front, but I was hoping for a little more info; for example; anything special about the front hinges / fitting; is it using an hydraulic pump to lift, or is it manual gas rams etc... just wondering if this could be an alternative to my present hinge issues 'being out of square' etc, as there seems to be only one lifter each side and the hinge point at the front? I could either go similar, or re-think the hinge system.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    There is a more recent Puma Club website, although with a name shared with a Brazilian VW kit of the same name it can get a bit confusing. Only the first Puma GTVs were based on the Nova, but with a single-piece bodyshell moulding, no bonnet and reinforced front canopy edge for use with front hinges. I've only ever seen manual versions.

The later GTV 033 used the Nova windscreen but little else was carried over. The canopy was still forward hinged, but the front overhang was reduced and round headlamps replaced the rectangular Nova ones. Apparently customers didn't like this style very much, so a "long nose" GTV was produced, which looks more Nova-like. The 033 designation was for an Alfa 33 boxer engine that was supplied by the factory with a custom exhaust. Final iteration of the Puma was the Boxer 90, which also used an Alfa engine and had more body re-styling, including Testarossa strakes, gull-wing doors with top-hinged windows and grilles on the nose and tail not unlike a Ferrari 308.

A Google search on any of these models should throw up a wealth of images, but technical information tends to be a bit scarce.

More to come...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    ...Adrianno Gatto (company founder - quite literally "Adrian Cat") is still around and fiercely promotes his products, even though long out of production. If only the Nova had been marketed as strongly. Anyway, there was a final, one-off Puma called the 248, which was mid-engined (I think still with Alfa power) on a bespoke tubular frame. The design was supposed to have been very promising in terms of performance and chassis dynamics, but like the Nova, the Puma served a less affluent clientele, and with increasing affluence in Italy sales drained away...

Interestingly, Puma Club in their history of the car say that the GTV was a Nova built under licence, but Richard Oakes refutes this, pointing out the numerous styling changes. However, the one thing he completely agrees with is the forward hinged canopy, which he believes would have been easier to seal (as the front edge seal would always be present).

Puma ripped off several other designs in a production run that lasted from the late 60s into the early 1990s. The Puma Buggy was a copy of the American Deserter buggy (nice), the Puma Ranch was a sort of Jeepy thing rather like a Jago and then there was the GTV...

I believe the club now goes by the name of Puma Club Italia - they have accounts on TwitFace and a Youtube video you might want to check out...

https://youtu.be/N-8Bqj3Bnj8

Fun... if you like that sort of thing!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Thanks Lauren, very interesting stuff.

I did enjoy some of the YouTube videos, some very nice cars there.
    I had found some info on Wikipedia, but no club site specifically.
    Some nice ideas from the videos though; didn't check out facebook, as don't do facebook... `¬)

But thanks for all the info, all good stuff! `¬)

I see the Sterling site is still under construction; really looking forward to seeing them up and running too!