Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Sterling Sports Car

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    It shouldn't be an issue for an MOT for a vehicle that's already registered with the DVLA. However, for anyone having to go through IVA (eg those doing Pie Valley chassis builds) it will be .... but suitable pop ups should address the issue.
    Hmm. I thought the reason why manufacturers such as Mazda dropped pop-ups on cars like the MX-5 was because they would fall foul of the projecting bodywork rule in the C&U regs. BIVA has all sorts of draconian checks for safe radii around bumpers, overriders and such like - even exposed bolt heads! Surely raised pop-ups would contravene these requirements?

The biggest problem I think is that nobody has managed/tried to put a Nova through BIVA yet, so we just don't know what aspects of the car could be likely to fail.

Probably the best bet is to consider raising the front ride height, as Californian Sterling owners had to do to pass their local roadworthiness standards. The rubber-bumper MGB and DeLorean both suffered the same fate when exported to the US, but after the BIVA you could always drop the ride height back down again. Depending on your wheel and tyre combination, I think the Nova was maybe 4-6cm shy of where it needs to be to meet the C&U minimum headlight height regs.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I have been looking into this a bit more and from what I can make out it seems if you take a standard VW Beetle and fit a Nova Bodyshell without altering the floorpan (i.e lowering it) it is simply regarded as a re-bodied vehicle and as such is not subject to any further testing but can be put on the road retaining the original reg number. Complications only occur if the floorpan is modified (such as would be the case with a SWB beach buggy, or lowering the floorpans). Does anyone know if this is indeed the case or not?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I have been looking into this a bit more and from what I can make out it seems if you take a standard VW Beetle and fit a Nova Bodyshell without altering the floorpan (i.e lowering it) it is simply regarded as a re-bodied vehicle and as such is not subject to any further testing but can be put on the road retaining the original reg number. Complications only occur if the floorpan is modified (such as would be the case with a SWB beach buggy, or lowering the floorpans). Does anyone know if this is indeed the case or not?

A bit off a crossover of posts the London Gulf car is still down as a VW beetle first registered in 2006, I guess its a bit of a grey area a bit like the MOT for classic cars, I currently don't have an MOT on my car but if you look on DVLA it does not say I haven't so ANPR would not flag any problems like wise the London Gulf would not. Now I think the real problem comes when you have an accident that is your fault especially if it was a big claim the insurance company could use it as an excuse not to pay out. I agree with you that the floor-pan drop is a chassis change and would not class as a a re-bodied vehicle. With the changes I have made to my car it will be getting an MOT just to be safe.

Dirk

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    To add my 2p worth, according to the DVLA website ....

"You do not need to get an MOT if:

- the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
    - no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works
    "

So if you are restoring a Nova, the issue of 'no substantial changes' wrt the need for an MOT and the issue of lowered floorpans only applies if you lowered the floorpans within the past 30 years. I therefore assume that if you can provide proof that the floorpans were already lowered more than 30 years ago (OK, I have to declare an interest here, and I still have the old floorpans as well as photographic evidence to prove the point) then there is not an issue and your Nova has not been substantially changed.

It's for these reasons that I've taken the decision to restore my Nova to the state she was in when she was taken off the road in 1991, and despite the temptation to enhance suspension, etc, I'll be sticking with original replacement parts.

I'm in the odd situation where the DVLA is saying that my Nova was first registered in 1970, but the year of manufacture is 1988. In fact, 1988 is the year I notified the DVLA of a chance of colour, but the vehicle make was changed from 'Beetle' to 'Nova' in 1983. So I don't know what will eventually happen re the need for an MOT (ie the '40 years' status), but I'm making sure that regardless of that, there will not have been any substantial changes to the car within the past 30 years.

Alistair

To add my 2p worth, according to the DVLA website ....

"You do not need to get an MOT if:

- the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
    - no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works
    "

So if you are restoring a Nova, the issue of 'no substantial changes' wrt the need for an MOT and the issue of lowered floorpans only applies if you lowered the floorpans within the past 30 years. I therefore assume that if you can provide proof that the floorpans were already lowered more than 30 years ago (OK, I have to declare an interest here, and I still have the old floorpans as well as photographic evidence to prove the point) then there is not an issue and your Nova has not been substantially changed.

It's for these reasons that I've taken the decision to restore my Nova to the state she was in when she was taken off the road in 1991, and despite the temptation to enhance suspension, etc, I'll be sticking with original replacement parts.

I'm in the odd situation where the DVLA is saying that my Nova was first registered in 1970, but the year of manufacture is 1988. In fact, 1988 is the year I notified the DVLA of a chance of colour, but the vehicle make was changed from 'Beetle' to 'Nova' in 1983. So I don't know what will eventually happen re the need for an MOT (ie the '40 years' status), but I'm making sure that regardless of that, there will not have been any substantial changes to the car within the past 30 years.

Alistair
    Ok so to clarify if you change the VW beetle body you need a IVA test even if you keep the chassis totally standard?.
    Does anyone know the hight the front lights need to be off the floor?

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi Henry,

Apologies, I think I took your thread slightly off topic! ....

If you can find yourself a Nova project which has the all important V5 document, then you can simply restore her without the need for an IVA.

If your project does not come with a V5 then you're looking at an IVA. I don't know of any Novas which have been through an IVA but Alex and Mick will eventually be doing this with their Pie Valley chassis's and should be able to offer a solution to the headlight height issue at that time. In the meantime, David and Lauren suggestions sound reasonable.

Apart from the cost of an IVA, I don't think that should put you off if you want to go down that route. After all, the majority of modern kit cars are not based on an older chassis with a V5, and hence presumably go through the IVA without too much difficulty .... ?

Cheers,
    Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 23-03-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Headlight regs

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...chedule/4/made

Read on, best of luck,

4.3.4.2. Height:
    Not less than 250 mm above the ground.
    No point on the illuminating surface must be higher than the highest point on the illuminating surface of the dipped-beam headlamp.
    Last edited by Peter; 23-03-2019 at 01:09 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Hi Henry,

Apologies, I think I took your thread slightly off topic! ....

If you can find yourself a Nova project which has the all important V5 document, then you can simply restore her without the need for an IVA.

If your project does not come with a V5 then you're looking at an IVA. I don't know of any Novas which have been through an IVA but Alex and Mick will eventually be doing this with their Pie Valley chassis's and should be able to offer a solution to the headlight height issue at that time. In the meantime, David and Lauren suggestions sound reasonable.

Apart from the cost of an IVA, I don't think that should put you off if you want to go down that route. After all, the majority of modern kit cars are not based on an older chassis with a V5, and hence presumably go through the IVA without too much difficulty .... ?

Cheers,
    Alistair
    Thanks Alistair. Yes think doing a renovation would be alot easier if I could find one . The reason I have been talking about IVA is I have been toying with the idea of Ed's last MGF chassis but being my first car build not sure I'm up to the challenge building a car from scratch with no build manual or experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Staals View Post
    Thanks Alistair. Yes think doing a renovation would be alot easier if I could find one . The reason I have been talking about IVA is I have been toying with the idea of Ed's last MGF chassis but being my first car build not sure I'm up to the challenge building a car from scratch with no build manual or experience.

We (nearly ) all started out not having a clue about the car we were working on, or how, so 'join the club' it's a great learning curve.

All the information, help and manuals you will ever need are right here, someone on here will have the answer and be only to willing to help.

Great thing about a kit car with a Q reg is there is nothing to say what the major components were/are. so I could fit a custom chassis, stamp the VW number on it and claim that that was it all along. nothing, anywhere says it is a VW chassis. Of course, if you don't have a V5 then that is a whole different ball game but will need a IVA anyway so might as well fit the best.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    We (nearly ) all started out not having a clue about the car we were working on, or how, so 'join the club' it's a great learning curve.

All the information, help and manuals you will ever need are right here, someone on here will have the answer and be only to willing to help.

Great thing about a kit car with a Q reg is there is nothing to say what the major components were/are. so I could fit a custom chassis, stamp the VW number on it and claim that that was it all along. nothing, anywhere says it is a VW chassis. Of course, if you don't have a V5 then that is a whole different ball game but will need a IVA anyway so might as well fit the best.
    That's good to know .