Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mot

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I thought you could only drive it without an mot if you declared it as mot exempt? And then you would not take it for an mot just a health check?

Dirk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes I think so, I will be asking for the health check

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I forgot you have a van Gaisa. My van's MOT is due on 2 June but the dreaded 'anti diesel' changes come in on 20 May. My Berlingo's a 2009. I bought it with 30k on the clock 6 years ago and now it's got 102k. I spent £420 getting a new timing belt and water pump at the end of last year because I want to keep it going for a few years yet. Anyway, rather than just put it in and see what they fail it on I decided to check everything and all I could find was the front discs and pads. I fitted new ones on Fri and put the van in for an MOT yesterday ... it passed with no advisories!! Well chuffed!
    Heh, mine's a 2011 pug partner and since citroen and peugeot share van designs, mine's the newer model, only real difference is the front grille.
    Mine started with 42k miles when I bought it and was discounted to £3600 due to someone breaking in and causing significant damage, since it was cheaper for me to fix it, I bought it with the damage, repaired it and reinforced the doors for additional security. She's been going good ever since
    As for the changes in regulations... I await those with a "baited breath"

(Sorry about the hijack!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Heh, mine's a 2011 pug partner and since citroen and peugeot share van designs, mine's the newer model, only real difference is the front grille.
    Mine started with 42k miles when I bought it and was discounted to £3600 due to someone breaking in and causing significant damage, since it was cheaper for me to fix it, I bought it with the damage, repaired it and reinforced the doors for additional security. She's been going good ever since
    As for the changes in regulations... I await those with a "baited breath"

(Sorry about the hijack!)
    At the risk of taking the hijack too far, here's my wee baby ...
    My wee baby ;).jpg
    However, on this forum we need to focus on our 'wee princesses' so here's mine in her hey day. Work is finally progressing well on the chassis, so hopefully I'll be looking at road tax and MOT issues in greater detail before too long (ie in a couple of years!)
    my wee princess.jpg
    Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Yes I think so, I will be asking for the health check
    I'm not sure that any of our cars will qualify for MoT exemption - first you have to register your car as a Vehicle of Historic Interest, which will only be successful if your vehicle has not been modified in the previous 30 years. Unacceptable mods include chassis and/or monocoque (floorpan drops?), steering and suspension (coilovers, Red 9 front end, rack and pinion), engine change to another make (Alfa boxer, Scooby Doo) etc. The list goes on.

Quite apart from any of the above, the rules appear to state that any kit build car that introduces a radical change of shape (e.g. 4-door saloon to 2-seat sports coupe) will also not be able to claim exemption.

I fear the dice is loaded against us, and while there are exemption clauses that could be exploited I think it is far more likely that the annual MoT test will remain compulsory for Novas...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    I'm not sure that any of our cars will qualify for MoT exemption - first you have to register your car as a Vehicle of Historic Interest, which will only be successful if your vehicle has not been modified in the previous 30 years. Unacceptable mods include chassis and/or monocoque (floorpan drops?), steering and suspension (coilovers, Red 9 front end, rack and pinion), engine change to another make (Alfa boxer, Scooby Doo) etc. The list goes on.

Quite apart from any of the above, the rules appear to state that any kit build car that introduces a radical change of shape (e.g. 4-door saloon to 2-seat sports coupe) will also not be able to claim exemption.

I fear the dice is loaded against us, and while there are exemption clauses that could be exploited I think it is far more likely that the annual MoT test will remain compulsory for Novas...
    Hi Lauren,

Suspension changes are considered exempt if they were 'made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance' so coilovers, Red 9 front end, rack and pinion could easily be argued that they are. As for changes to engines, or kits built after 1988, .... well ... ??

The floor pan drop is an interesting one for me. I have evidence that my Nova had drops (photos and the actual floor pans) but since I'm fitting new floor pans I'm tempted to see if I can find seats which don't need drops ust to avoid any risk of being considered a substantial change. I'm only 5' 5" by the way! ...

Isn't the radical change of shape (eg 4 door to 2 seat sports coupe) only an issue if it happened within the last 30 years? Most of us have Novas which were originally built more than 30 years ago, but my own case is interesting in that the date of registration is 1970 but the date of manufacture is 1988 (when I simply recorded a change of colour!!!)

To be honest, I wish they'd never introduced all these changes. I'd prefer to pay my road tax (hopefully at a reduced level to reflect the reduced mileage of a typical kit car compared with conventional vehicles) and subject my Nova to an annual (age related) MOT. It would avoid all this confusion.

Anyway, for me at least, it's back to the welding, etc!

Looking forward to seeing the Green Machine one day!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    That's how I see it; If the 'radical change' was more than thirty years ago, its exempt. Just because it is still in that 'radical state' is proof that it hasn't changed during the last thirty years provided it can be shown the Nova was pre-thirty years ago?
    Obviously a problem for those built more recently if the doner has been changed during the last thirty years into a Nova....

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    While I agree these are all valid arguments, I still think there will be a problem proving them to the satisfaction of the authorities. In much the same way as a Q plate was slapped on an import (back in the day...) rather than simply decode the chassis number to get the year of manufacture.

How do you prove that any modifications are over 30 years old? Without an in-period inspection report I don't think it is possible. Build records, chassis plates, dated photographs can all be faked. Rather than give you the benefit of the doubt, your VHI application will simply be rejected in favour of a 1978 MGB roadster with a fully documented restoration file...

I think we have to face facts, this legislation was not written with kit cars in mind, in fact that they appear to be explicitly excluded from the outset.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    So a receipt from Nova cars, along with insurance documentation (from a company still going) and previous mots / tax forms from over thirty years ago won't count?

I understand the scepticism, but if DVLA's own documentation says it was re-registered as 'vw sports' or 'vw nova' over thirty years ago, I'm not sure how they can doubt when it changed...

I'm still happy to tax and MOT as usual, but it would be nice to be classed as exempt to their new rules.

The thirty year rule for not requiring an MOT is probably a moot point, as I don't think anyone would not actually get an annual MOT even if it did not officially have to!

I also wonder why there should be a problem if its registered as being older than forty years (on its original plate) it should be tax exempt? (or am I misunderstanding the tax exempt part?)