Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mot

In our ITV test the first thing when entering the testing channel is 'open bonnet' and they check VIN, perplexed if it's not under the bonnet, as in the case of my Rover 216 where it was at the front of the boot opening. I have made it clear to see on the VW tunnel (must NOT "enhance" the number) but it will need the right panel behind the seats removing to see it so I have a photo as well as a VIN plate under the bonnet. I will bet that will not be enough.

IMG615.jpgVIN plate.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 15-05-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Well I never knew Eagle were in Grafton Road Worthing! That's round the corner from my parents house!
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

I went there when they were running - long time ago now!
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

40 years old rolling MoT exempt

Well looks its official next year cars built before 1978 will be exempt from mot testing. http://www.classicandperformancecar....tion-announced
    Cheers

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by JONESY25 View Post
    Well looks its official next year cars built before 1978 will be exempt from mot testing. http://www.classicandperformancecar....tion-announced
    Probably won't apply to many Nova's. All Q plates will still need MOTs

This will only be for practically stock cars. There will be a points bases system (based on the old points to retain the donorplate), so the gear stick relocation on bug-based Novas probably ruin things. Also any vehicle with a power-to-weight ratio more than 15% greater that original won't qualify.

That said, I think these limitations only apply if the changes were made after 1988... ?

No word yet we to how any of this can be proved...

P.
    cheers

Paul

Mine on its original plate and registered as historic so road tax currently free. Will have to wait and see. It's only £40 for mot so if I still need one no bother, if I don't then £40 for road safety health check each year.
    Cheers

Ryan

Even if mine does qualify I will certainly be taking it for annual inspections regardless, for such an old car that sits for long periods I certainly want to know the safety issues before I find out the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Even if mine does qualify I will certainly be taking it for annual inspections regardless, for such an old car that sits for long periods I certainly want to know the safety issues before I find out the hard way
    ^This!

I think it's a terrible idea personally. I don't agree with the existing MOT exemption for pre-1960, but allowing people to self certify that their 40yo car meets the exemption criteria is just asking for wide scale abuse. And then we all end up tar'd as dangerous and the way is paved to start restricting use of historic vehicles

I'll be MOT'ing, and wouldn't qualify as exempt anyway with the Scooby engine lol, but the wording does make me question if I'll be able to keep my historic tax class once I admit to needing an MOT...
    Last edited by PaddyX21; 18-09-2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: sausage fingers
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

Why would they need to know; if you're MOTing it for your personal peace of mind, how can they complain if it assures the safety of others?
    Besides, I'm with the others here; as far as I'm concerned ALL cars should have some kind of road safety check and an MOT fits that bill.

Have to agree that it's a retrograde step. I wonder if classic car organisations are speaking out against the change? Hope insurance premiums don't start to increase as a result of being MOT exempt? I'll certainly be taking mine for an annual check.