Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mot

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Mot

Having interesting and frustrating chat with mot nan whilst he is doing my freelancer.
    Spoke about my nova and chassis number. They have to physically see a number so he is saying, make a plate that is stamped and put it in a visible location. So I replied, what is then stopping anyone from buying a log book and then using that chassis number on any car !!!!
    Couldn't answer.
    Than asked about windscreen or lack of. If car has no screen then take off wiper blade and disconnect washers !!!
    Bizarre !

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Having interesting and frustrating chat with mot nan whilst he is doing my freelancer.
    Spoke about my nova and chassis number. They have to physically see a number so he is saying, make a plate that is stamped and put it in a visible location. So I replied, what is then stopping anyone from buying a log book and then using that chassis number on any car !!!!
    Couldn't answer.
    Than asked about windscreen or lack of. If car has no screen then take off wiper blade and disconnect washers !!!
    Bizarre !
    the official test states:

Method of inspection:
    Check that the vehicle is permanently displaying a legible Vehicle Identification Number.
    This can be either:

• on a VIN plate secured to the vehicle, or
    • stamped or etched on the vehicle body or chassis.

Reasons for failure:

• A Vehicle Identification Number nor permanently displayed, incomplete or not legible
    • more than one different Vehicle Identification Number displayed

...So I guess a plate is OK, as long as it is glued or riveted in place (screws/bolts could imply non-permanent)
    Also, 'incomplete' implies that they must check the VIN against the V5, to ensure the whole number is there...?

There seems to be nothing to proscribe a stamped number AND a VIN plate, as long the numbers on each match (and with the V5).

Re: the wipers etc. the test cases around them do not apply to vehicles with 'opening' windscreens. If the screen is missing, is is clearly opening!

I think the general rule is:
    anything that is optional & present is tested and may cause a failure.
    anything that is optional & NOT present can't be tested, so can't cause a failure.

anything that is mandatory & present is tested and may cause a failure.
    anything that is mandatory & NOT present will automatically cause a failure.

In addition, anything the tester can't see/or poke, they can't test, and therefore can't trigger a failure...

P.
    cheers

Paul

I can remember taking my old Nova for its MOT in 2010 which I think was around the time they started looking for Chassis numbers the MOT man asked where it was, I was taken a bit surprised as I hadn't been asked this before and had had several MOT's at this garage. knowing the chassis number wasn't quite right I played dumb and said I had never seen one on the car. He said he could not MOT it without one. I knew the garage reasonably well and the boss had heard what was going on, so he came up with the solution to stamp the number that was on the log book onto a bit of metal they found they put it into the bonnet space and told me to rivet it in when I got home. It passed its MOT I didn't use their temp chassis plate, but the following year I preempted the situation and bought a nice chassis plate and stamped it my self with make and chassis number. When I took it for its MOT in 2011 the same guy had been looking around the car for about 15 mins when I asked him is there something wrong he said he was looking for the chassis number, I told him it was on the plate under the bonnet but he said that was no longer good enough! I still played dumb and he never found it and I did get it passed. I guess a lot of it is down to the MOT man at the time.

Dirk

I have had several MOT guys ask me that at different stages, I explained that its a beetle chassis and pointed to the centre console that is bolted down said the number is under that console which I would need to dismantle to show him. At that point they shrug their shoulders not wanting to sit around for half an hour my I pull my car apart, then they get on an MOT it as normal. Subsequently I have fitted one of Micks plates under the bonnet also.

I thought this could be an issue so I took a video of the car pre interior installation showing clearly the chassis number and the location. I showed them this. Not good enough! They would not even start to look at the car.

So I have ordered a vin plate and will get it stamped and find a suitable location to install.

I did phone a guy who makes custom vin plates ( details found from the internet ).
    He could make ones with the nova logo for 140 a pair!!!!!!!
    I'll stick to 16 from eBay ...

Buffy

I've been having my Nova MOTd at the same place for 11 years - the VW chassis number is there and intact but is covered by a storage box. There is a home-made plate under the bonnet, and has been for at least 10 years but they have never looked at it or asked about chassis numbers (whilst doing thorough tests) I guess some garages are more fussy than others. Mine is fussy about slightly delaminated number-plates - I've had to replace about 4 on daily drivers over the years...
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Mine has a club Nova vin plate supplied by Mick.

I've stamped it up & its under the bonnet. All my numbers match up but the MOT chap was happy with just the vin plate.

Mostin.
    A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Mostin View Post

I've stamped it up & its under the bonnet. All my numbers match up but the MOT chap was happy with just the vin plate.

Mostin.
    Do we have a picture of one? Mick, do you still had some ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mostin View Post

Mostin.
    I'd definitely be interested in buying one if Mick's got any left.
    Alistair

+1 from me for a VIN plate.

Hopefully there's enough interest to justify a new production run 😀

P.
    cheers

Paul