Thread: Wheel alignment

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Wheel alignment

So I am hoping that next week my car passes its mot, and I can then take it for wheel alignment checks.

But what measurements do I tell the shop to work to ?

My front end is straightforward red9 coilovers- The only adjustment I can see then is toe in/out, what should that be set to ?

On the rear I also have red 9 swing axle, so I can also in theory adjust the wheels, what do I set these to ?

Any help appreciated

Buffy

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Toe-in at both ends. The Beetle was set up from the factory with toe-out at the back and toe-in at the front. Which resulted in many visits to the hedgerow. Backwards.

I believe the theory was that the compliance in the rear suspension would toe the rear wheels in under power, but of course they will toe-out again under deceleration or braking, so going into a corner on a trailing throttle...

How much toe to wind in is debatable. It needs to be small to ensure good tyre life, but must be enough to ensure good stability at speed. I use a Longacre trammel bar to set my alignment, so it measures in inches at the wheel rim - so you will need to do some trig to get the figure in degrees, but I set the Green Machine for 1/16" toe-in front and rear, i.e. 1/32" toe-in on each wheel, relative to the vehicle centreline.

Often more toe-in is applied at the front, so if you need more stability at speed, that is where you dial it in. But it is trial and error with a Nova I'm afraid.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Thanks Lauren
    That is definitely something I can work with

Mark

Hi Tech stuff and Marbella Buggys, we use an adjustable 'twist and lock BROOM HANDLE between front and rear of the wheels, just a smite of toe in but they get such a hammering that doesn't last long and the whole lot is loose in no time. My SS has 1/6" toe in via broom handle.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl