Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads

Brake pads

As you know my car had an issue with brakes on mot for not being effective even though they were brand new.
    Now when I have changed pads on all my other vehicles I have brakes straight away, so what us the issue here?
    I have stripped and cleaned then again. On examination black stuff came off all discs front and rear ( back has an emoi conversion ).
    I am thinking that the issue is with the pads which are supplied with the kits.
    Has anyone else had the same problem ( I know most in has )?
    Does anyone use any pads which are a different make to the ones supplied with the kits?

Buffy

I have been thinking that something can't be right as normally when you fit new pads the brakes work straight away and don't need bedding in to any great extent to make them work.

My only thoughts are perhaps yours are designed to work with servo assistance? I know that with my Capri, if the engine is switched off and the car is coasting, the brakes are practically useless but work fine when the engine is running and the servo is applying extra pressure.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I am certain the force applied is fine as the master cylinders are big enough for the job.
    The kits are also for a beetle which is a heavier car therefore you should
    Need less force to stop the car.
    On the volkszone forum someone kept having to buff their pads as they getting shiny ( same kit fitted )
    Think I can get ferodo or EBC pads for the front but not sure about the rear .

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I am certain the force applied is fine as the master cylinders are big enough for the job.
    The kits are also for a beetle which is a heavier car therefore you should
    Need less force to stop the car.
    On the volkszone forum someone kept having to buff their pads as they getting shiny ( same kit fitted )
    Think I can get ferodo or EBC pads for the front but not sure about the rear .
    Odd... I can't see "shiny" being an issue as it maximizes surface area, but if the pads are contaminated, they could potentially act as self lubricating...
    If more than one person is having issues with the pads and you haven't accidentally spilled something on them...
    First thing I can suggest; try setting the pads on fire, it should force any potential lubricant from the pads.

Second; New pads all around. Not the happiest of solutions after spending out loads of money on getting your car up to spec, but sometimes, needs must. Check the identification number on your old pad boxes, you may find they're a match for pads used on other vehicles

Lastly; use fine abrasive on the discs to "rough up" the surface, that and a little brake cleaner should clean anything off them, and remove anything potentially contaminating them.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I have been thinking that something can't be right as normally when you fit new pads the brakes work straight away and don't need bedding in to any great extent to make them work.
    I also thought something similar; if you have to drive around to 'bed in' brakes before they are up to mot standards then there should be an awful lot more accidents on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Has anyone else had the same problem ( I know most in has )? Buffy
    I've also had the same sort of problem. I replaced all of the brake. New standard vw front disc's, new calipers, new pads etc. Disc's were cleaned before putting on new calipers & pads. When I first tried them they were pants. So bad I even changed out the pads again just in case.

You do have to bed them in & they have slowly improved but I'm still not happy with them.

Are there any brands that are more abrasive than others. Which would perform better?

Cheers.
    Mostin
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi guys - don't forget that new brake discs are coated with an anti-corrosion compound which needs to be cleaned off before you use them. In cases where new discs are fitted, this might explain the problem, but not if not...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Hi guys - don't forget that new brake discs are coated with an anti-corrosion compound which needs to be cleaned off before you use them. In cases where new discs are fitted, this might explain the problem, but not if not...
    I clean forgot about that! My old van had an oily film over the replacement discs and I had to thoroughly clean them before installation.. t
    Though, from the way the other guys are commenting, and my recalling how the discs on my old bug before it moved to the scrapyard in the sky performed, maybe a little servo assist would help?
    Last edited by Gaisa; 01-05-2017 at 07:48 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Servo assistance only reduces the amount of braking effort, the brake efficiency is unaffected. So the brakes should easily go through an MoT, you would just need to stand on them a bit harder. I have dual master cylinders and no servo assistance, and yes, the pedal needs a good shove but you can easily get the wheels to lock up, even in the dry. I would still guess some sort of surface contamination, but I would expect brake cleaner to be able to get it off...

It was just a thought.

I have been warned off EBC pads (I did use some Green Stuff ones on the front for a while) in favour of Ferodo, but to be honest, for road use there probably isn't much difference between different makes. Just make sure the compound isn't for competition use otherwise they will never get up to working temperature!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

After looking around the net last night. Because I've got discs all round I think my next move will be to upgrade my master cylinder form the standard VW one.

It should give me better fluid delivery. After all a bigger master cylinder can't hurt.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”