Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To Weld Myself ... or Pay Someone to do it for me?

Mine is essentially a Sip Migmate 150 Turbo but 'badged' by Northern Tools. Initially I blamed the 'rook-sh*t' welds on my lack of experience. But eventually found the multitude of welding forums with modifications for these machines that improve the performance. A bracket to stop the wire feed wheels flexing apart was the biggest single improvement along with regular replacement torch liners. Mostly these budget machines suffer from a fluctuating voltage to the wire feed motor that causes variable results.
    I would love to own a quality industrial type machine, like they had at college, but with practice I can get a decent weld most of the time. And for those times when it doesn't .... I have a ready supply of angle grinder discs

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

On my 230 I have never gone above power setting 4 out of 6 so I guess the 180 would have been more than enough for everything I have welded to-date.

Dirk

When you open up any of the DIY machines you find out why they are so cheap, there's almost nothing in them, the windings on the main transformer are aluminium instead of copper (hence the low duty cycle and probably the voltage fluctuations) and you put up with things like regularly changing the torch liners (which one never even thinks about with a professional kit) They do have their place, and they're much more portable than the big units. (And for the odd bit of stainless welding a pure argon disposable bottle and small roll of wire is the cheapest way of going about it - aluminium was the final straw - the drive would NOT cope with that and it endlessly welded the wire into the tip.....)

When I make a bad weld with the Sealey I know it's almost certainly down to me not the welder....
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

After pondering the quest for a few months, Santa's come early!

Got one pan off but till to finish removing the other and the Naps Hat, etc, so am going to spend some time getting used to my new toy before starting in earnest with all the new metalwork.

Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement on this thread.

Alistair

(Sorry this image is on its side!)

20170916_114733.jpg

I bought the same one this year after the thread and all the advice. I only played with some scrap metal bits so far but based on that I couldn't be happier. Its so much nicer and easier to use than my old SIP.