Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Needed! Smiths Roof Pump Wiring

Help Needed! Smiths Roof Pump Wiring

Having a bit of trouble with this. I took the wiring from the old circuit which was in bad condition.
    I'm using an interior push button as oruginally , the one button for both UP and Down. Also key switch on the outside, hoping to fit a remote entry system in as well , there was one there before.

Excuse the crude circuit below , I'm not sure how the old VW relay wires up. I have found pin 30 labelled as an Earth , but other diagrams on the web show it as a live. I am also not sure why the starter solenoid is involved for feed.

Here's what I have so far , would be great if someone can fill in the blanks. Apologies if thread is dicussed somewhere else

Page 106 of the modifications manual ( http://euro-nova.co.uk/downloads/Mod...ons_manual.pdf) has a circuit diagram that may help?

Like you I'm not sure about the use of the starter solenoid unless it just means a separate starter solenoid is used to supply power to the pump only and not also acting as a feed to the starter motor?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Thanks again Phill,
    Duh! don't know why I didn't check the manual!! Anyway looks like my Nova was setup originally to this layout. It answers the pin 30 question for me! Still not sure about the lucas starter solenoid but I'll wire up accordingly and check.

Let me know the answer to the question about the starter solenoid as this is puzzling me too? I'm thinking it's a dedicated (pump only) supply solenoid and not the regular starter solenoid. In which case it would also need a separate live feed from the battery.

If it is meant to be the actual starter solenoid, wouldn't that cause the starter motor to spin over everytime the roof is operated?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

In that particular circuit set-up this is a separate starter solenoid, and the reason its there is because it take take a big load (30 amp +). A heavy duty relay could also be used instead.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    In that particular circuit set-up this is a separate starter solenoid, and the reason its there is because it take take a big load (30 amp +). A heavy duty relay could also be used instead.
    I think the 'stall current' of the Smiths pump is about 70 Amps, which is why the solenoid is used. A 30 amp relay would eventually fail (normally the contacts weld shut with the heat) and require a 'sunroof exit'. Ask me how I know.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

A BMW X3 driver just added to the Nova jobs I need to do!

Follow my Lazarus project at: http://www.micksrednova.co.uk/index.html
    which may take more than four days!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    I think the 'stall current' of the Smiths pump is about 70 Amps, which is why the solenoid is used. A 30 amp relay would eventually fail (normally the contacts weld shut with the heat) and require a 'sunroof exit'. Ask me how I know.

Mick

You're probably right I was being too lazy to validate the correct info and didn't want to post stating an overkill amperage. I personally use 100 amp relays on my circuits as I didn't want the relays being too close to their design spec limits.

Yeah Researching this circuit I totally agree. The "starter solenoid" is a bad representation. It's there to take the High Load.
    Anyways I now have this wired up as per diagram, and from both the outside key and interior push button I can hear the VW relay (the 311 941 583B) clicking for both directions.
    I had to leave it last night so I'll get back to it this evening.
    Going to check the power to the pump I guess if its there I'm trouble and the pump is dead.

I also tried putting the remote switch unit in parallel with the int and ext switches , but I soon made short work of that (excuse the pun!) A lot of black smoke very quickly.
    Anyway need to buy a new unit, it did test it working on a 12V pulse for UP and DOWN, so I'll need to latch the pulse with a relay somehow.
    Thanks for the help , at least I'm a little further on.

Just thinking , the old VW switching relay could be at fault also?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdec View Post
    Just thinking , the old VW switching relay could be at fault also?
    Those are modified VW switching relays....see the modification manual.

I would test the pump directly before doing anything else so at least you know that works or not. On the smiths pump you need to energise one of the valves (up or down circuit) and the pump motor simultaneously.