Thread: Trouble fitting dual cannons?

Trouble fitting dual cannons?

Hi guys...... So yesterday i pulled the nova out of the garage after work and decided to change the exhaust. As a few know i don't really know one end of a spanner from another but i managed to get the old Empi one off and proceeded to try and fit my shiny dual cannons though the two holes in my mk4 rear bumper. did they fit you ask ? The exhaust seem to be hitting the inner shell when i am trying to line them up. As i understood it cannons were supplied with the original kits ?? So has anyone else fitted cannons to their Nova and if so, did you have to cut away part of the inner shell to do so ? I Know Essex Dave has them but i have not seen him here for a while ? The part i need to cut does not appear to be of any use but i thought it would be best to come here and ask the guru's ?

Quote Originally Posted by suicidesam View Post
    Hi guys...... So yesterday i pulled the nova out of the garage after work and decided to change the exhaust. As a few know i don't really know one end of a spanner from another but i managed to get the old Empi one off and proceeded to try and fit my shiny dual cannons though the two holes in my mk4 rear bumper. did they fit you ask ? The exhaust seem to be hitting the inner shell when i am trying to line them up. As i understood it cannons were supplied with the original kits ?? So has anyone else fitted cannons to their Nova and if so, did you have to cut away part of the inner shell to do so ? I Know Essex Dave has them but i have not seen him here for a while ? The part i need to cut does not appear to be of any use but i thought it would be best to come here and ask the guru's ?

Dual cannons were original kit fitment for the Mark 1 Nova's, However I'm not convinced that the Mark 4 was necessarily designed for them. Many folk here go down the custom exhaust route (or modified exhaust) to get the pipes to exit where they want. Take a look at Buffy's (aka Mark) build thread, he has the mark 4, albeit with an Alfa Romeo lump and used some neat joint sections that allowed him to tweak the exhaust fit.

Quote Originally Posted by suicidesam View Post
    I cannot remember who, but a long time ago I had a conversation with someone re making dual cannos fit a Mk 4 bumper. The 'recognised' way to make them fit was to cut the bar welded from one pipe to the box and then gently bend to fit prior to re welding the bar, or bolting in a brace. It seemed a compromise to me, and risks breaking a weld on a pipe joint.

I went a different route on Nena and purchased a EMPI twin tuckaway exhaust (https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Image/80...AC2513603.jpeg) and then cut of both ends where still straight before the pipe turns 180 degrees. The exhaust can then be fitted, and you can rotate the cut off ends to line up and re weld. If you can't weld you could probably clamp in place and take to a welder. This system will generally perform better than separate cannons too.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Dual cannons were original kit fitment for the Mark 1 Nova's, However I'm not convinced that the Mark 4 was necessarily designed for them. Many folk here go down the custom exhaust route (or modified exhaust) to get the pipes to exit where they want. Take a look at Buffy's (aka Mark) build thread, he has the mark 4, albeit with an Alfa Romeo lump and used some neat joint sections that allowed him to tweak the exhaust fit.
    https://m.gsfcarparts.com/280vg0050?

I found this sort of thing on eBay. Just add them where you need a turn or a section.extension .