Thread: Canopy Remote Circuit

Canopy Remote Circuit

Hi All,
    Nearly at the end of the electrical troubleshooting. I wont say my last but hopefully almost last problem I encountered, I have wired up a relay for the Keyless entry to take the heavy load . No problems in that the relay is working only that it gives the "pulse" to the directions. I am looking to somehow convert this pulse to a steady ON for the duration of the roof actuation.
    I don't mind whether it be a timer or holding down the button manually during the cycle.
    Any thoughts on how to turn the pulse to a steady signal. Is there a specific relay for doing this?
    Thanks
    Dec

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Hi Dec - not really. The normal way of using a pulse command is to have the canopy cycle between two limit switches. With this set-up the pump will run until the limit switch opens at the end of the cycle. The pulse from the remote control switches the pump direction, kicking off the process as the limit switch in one direction will be open, while the other is closed - they change over when the cycle is complete. You can get suitable limit switches from suppliers like Car Builder Solutions, they are usually used for courtesy lights.

The only downside to this system is that you cannot stop the canopy part-way through the cycle, unless you include a manual override switch as well.

In my (early) version of the modifications and service manual I seem to remember there was a suitable circuit for a remote control Smiths pump. As well as the limit switches you will need to get a couple of signal diodes as well.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Not sure why you need to install another relay in your circuit as the headlamp switching relay and the starter solenoid take care of the heavy currents already?

I bought one of these remotes:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D6-12V-DC-...53.m2749.l2649 and installed the receiver into the circuit in place of where you would install a push button switch. It actually has two buttons (A and B) circuits but you only need to use one. As long as the button is pressed the roof mechanism is operating. Release the button and the mechanism halts.
    Last edited by Phill; 24-06-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Not sure if this helps, but will give you some ideas at least. It’s a circuit for the reversible quite pump rather than the smiths one, but would be simple enough to adapt to the smiths as I had that pump previously.

It provides the following features:

· It has normal key switches (internal buttons and external key) as well as a remote.
    · Using the remote, limit switches protect the rams from trying to go too far in the maximum up or down positions.
    · The remote is set to momentary so you keep your finger on the remote button and choose to stop at any position between the limit switches
    · It uses separate buttons for up or down (remote and keyed switches), so no surprises on which way the canopy will go.
    · It provides a remote disablement circuit when the ignition is on so no chance of sitting on the remote in your pocket and having the roof expectantly open at 70mph!
    · The main fuse I used is actually a circuit breaker, so no hunting for fuses (as I had to do at Stoneleigh before I changed it)

I used the same system as Dave has shown.
    Simple to follow and works very well.

Thanks guys for the input, I'll stick to the smiths pump setup. Though your circuit David is best option. Down the road i might look at investing in the quiet pump system.
    I think Phils system is the one for me at the moment. The jog feature is what i need. I'm using the one button system
    The reason i put the additional relay in was because i put the control box off the first system in parallel with the key and push button. It fried the box within seconds.
    I'm currently testing the circuit offline from the car with a small 12v bench supply.
    Also yesterday noticed one of my rams is very slow to act, even when not connected to the hinge, so ill need to get this sorted also.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Alzax3; 25-06-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I bought one of these remotes:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D6-12V-DC-...53.m2749.l2649 and installed the receiver into the circuit in place of where you would install a push button switch. It actually has two buttons (A and B) circuits but you only need to use one. As long as the button is pressed the roof mechanism is operating. Release the button and the mechanism halts.
    Question for you Phill, the jog feature remote arrived today. I thought it would be the same as yours but its a 1 channel which should be fine. Have you a diagram of how you wired it up?
    If I put the unit in parallel with the door key and inside button, it will be supplied from the 30A fuse from ignition then ending up switching at the modified relay. I'm thinking this will be too much amps through this small unit.
    I'm probably going about this the wrong way but just like to see an example
    Thanks
    Dec

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdec View Post
    Question for you Phill, the jog feature remote arrived today. I thought it would be the same as yours but its a 1 channel which should be fine. Have you a diagram of how you wired it up?
    If I put the unit in parallel with the door key and inside button, it will be supplied from the 30A fuse from ignition then ending up switching at the modified relay. I'm thinking this will be too much amps through this small unit.
    I'm probably going about this the wrong way but just like to see an example
    Thanks
    Dec
    I don't have a diagram and I am on holiday just now so don't have the means to draw one. However, I just wired it in place of where a key switch or push button should be (in other words as you suggest in parallel with these should work fine ). The 30 amp fuse is nessessary as the live feed also goes to the starter solenoid which takes a big current. The key switch and push button are before the modified headlamp changeover relay so take a low current.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Thanks, Enjoy the holidays!

Just for anyone in the same boat , the top diagram is my current setup and below is the (poorly descriptive) instuctions I got with the RC unit.