Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket new policy

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

Photobucket new policy

I've noticed that some images have been replaced with an image saying 'please update your photobucket account' in the last few days.
    Seems Photobucket have new terms and conditions http://photobucket.com/terms

I'm not sure what this now means as far as linked images appearing on the forum if linked from photobucket.

I have an 'ad free' account on auto-renewal in August, so I'm wondering if all my linked images are going to disappear when it renews, (if it renews!), as it seems to be suggesting that linking is now only available with the 'Plus100' upward accounts...

Anybody here clarify if we will loose linked images at some point?

From what I've read about it online, all linked images are going to be replaced with their "3rd party linking" image.

We will need a new solution for posting images to the forum!
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I've seen this come in waves over the years, as more image hosts do the same.
    Sadly, I don't have any answers because I don't use them myself and while I can use my own server to post images, I can't offer the same service to others
    Last edited by Gaisa; 01-07-2017 at 01:50 PM.

If we will loose linked images, will we be able to replace the images, or will that mess up the forum threads if we edit our linked images to be forum post attachments?

I notice that when it is showing the 'photobucket icon' the shortcut will still give the name of the image, so that we know what the image was...

We should be able to edit them.
    I may be able to figure out some space to host them on the server, trouble is it uses a LOT of resources to host hundreds if not thousands of images so I would need to check exactly what we can get away with without compromising the running of the forum.

Imgbb is an alternative in the mean time.
    Last edited by bobbybrown; 01-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Euro-Nova Big Cheese!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

This is going to be a massive project to move all my restoration photos to an alternative image host
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

It may be worth being pragmatic...

1. Ask your self how much you value your time....for example, say you decide you time is worth £30/hr.
    2. Estimate how long you think it would take to migrate all your images elsewhere...perhaps the equivalent of 5 full 8 hour days...which would equate to £1200 worth of you time.
    3. Add any additional costs involved - hosting fees on a new server; cost of a new HDD to store the images in the interim; etc...?
    4. Now ask yourself if the the total cost of migrating off Photobucket would be more or less than the cost of upgrading your Photobucket subscription to fix the current problem.
    5. Finally...ask yourself if you are annoyed enough at Photobucket to actually spend wherever the net migration cost is.

For a few dozen images...migrating away may be cost effective...for a few hundred, I'd guess, probably not...

Look at it this way...would you rather spend that time migrating images or working on/driving your Nova...?

Just a thought

P.
    cheers

Paul

I understand where you are coming from, but...

1/ You don't have to find the money to pay yourself to migrate your images...

2/ Hopefully you already have your images backed up, so no need to re-download - maybe I'm just an old school guy, but I would never trust my photo's etc to only exist in one place on someone else's server? (A 1TB usb3 external drive is less than £50 these days) - the only reason I upload copies to photobucket was in order to share them on forums such as here.

3/ The cost of staying on Photobucket would be $399 a year, every year... assuming they continue and don't change the pricing again.

I understand the costing of your own time, but not everyone can afford to pay out for something that was not previously required.

But if I was a money no object kind of guy, would I still be happy to pay Photobucket when they have basically bent you over a barrel in this way? probably not...

I'm not sure of the process involved to copy all your images off Photobucket, I hope we don't have to do them one at a time manually... i.e. would you actually need to sit in front of the PC all day watching images being copied over - I don't actually know, but I would hope you could select a folder and copy that all in one go; is that not the case?

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en...loading-Albums

I have not yet tried it, but I hope that Photobucket have not disabled this in order to prevent people escaping their clutches? `¬)

luckily I have all my original photo's backed up, so not an issue for me, but I can understand that this is not going to be the case for all.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Well, I received the dreaded email from PB today and as you can see all my photos have been removed. Fortunately everything is backed-up, I only share the images on forums, but it is a bit annoying as I won't be paying for PB and haven't the time to re-upload everything. So I guess I will just have to start again somewhere else...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Well, I received the dreaded email from PB today and as you can see all my photos have been removed. Fortunately everything is backed-up, I only share the images on forums, but it is a bit annoying as I won't be paying for PB and haven't the time to re-upload everything. So I guess I will just have to start again somewhere else...

Lauren
    Did you get any warning? or was the email after they chopped the linked images? I assume you had a PB account that just expired, or renewed to the new policy that doesn't include the 'hosting' part; i.e. an ad free account? (or was it a storage limit that changed with their new policy)
    Last edited by MartinB; 07-07-2017 at 02:59 PM.