Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Tobias's Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Vodka View Post
    All sorted. I have done my research and don't intend to thrash it.
    Hi Tobias,

I'm at the early stages of rebuilding my Nova. My engine turns over by hand, so hopefully it'll be fine when I get round to checking it out. My main focus just now is the chassis which is stripped to the bone (and beyond!) and ready for some serious welding.

Anyway, my engine is a Type 1 with a 1776cc big bore kit. It's got an external oil cooler (but no fan). It ran fine when I last used it (in 1991!!) so fingers crossed it'll be OK, but I still intend to give it a health check/maybe replace a few parts/etc when the time comes.

I hear what you're saying regarding researching your new engine and that you don't intend to thrash it, but have you spoken to your insurance company yet? Maybe worth checking this out before committing to it.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your stunning Nova back on the road again very soon.

Cheers, Alistair

Thank you Alistair for the in-depth response. I have spoken to insurers and its not that much more over my existing plan thankfully. Furthermore the engine I possessed had ticked over twice and there was corrosion on the fuel tank. Unfortunately due to the way it was installed the only way to get at the tank was through the engine, so a new one is on the way. The transmission was also completely knackered and wouldn't select first gear. It was also beginning to refuse second. So far this car has been nothing but trouble but for some reason I love it despite the costs mounting up.

I'm not sure if other owners have dreams for their cars but for mine it is to be a modern classic. Something nobody would know is forty years old until they either saw the plate or were told which is why I have a carbon fibre louvre and wing mirrors. This car got me invited to be parked next to supercars at a meet and people ask me how I afford it so young and I just laugh.

Tobias.
    Current cars -
    Nova
    MGB GT 1974
    Austin Mini 1973 (79 plate)
    Triumph Stag 1976
    Triumph Dolomite (in the works)
    Honda CRV 2016

I'm not sure if other owners have dreams for their cars but for mine it is to be a modern classic. Something nobody would know is forty years old until they either saw the plate or were told .
    The modern classic was my aim also, also changing the plate helped and no one believes its 40 years old!

But having self-destructed two air-cooled engines I would have to say I agree with Alex.... don't go too extreme or rev too high they really don't like it!
    Last edited by islandman; 16-10-2017 at 01:17 PM.

IMG_20171022_100407.jpg

She's ready and waiting. Let the cleanup commence.
    Current cars -
    Nova
    MGB GT 1974
    Triumph Stag 1976
    Honda CRV 2016

IMG_20171022_100407.jpg

She's ready and waiting. Let the cleanup commence.
    Don't tell me you've left that poor old karmann ghia powerless!

Any lovely folk here have any experience with turboing the vw engine. I have a turbo but little experience in this field. Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Current cars -
    Nova
    MGB GT 1974
    Triumph Stag 1976
    Honda CRV 2016

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I just googled 'how to turbo vw beetle engine' and there is lots of info, inc thesamba.com forums as well as info on some companies who do the turbo kits - they have info and Q&A sections. http://www.lowbugget.com/turbo_new_page_link.html

I'm assuming you have already done that though?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...OqTFgAaWzJ6ABw

Sounds fun, but I have no experience on turbo's either, so...

Hopefully someone else has practical experience here, will be interesting to see! `¬)
    Last edited by MartinB; 14-11-2017 at 07:07 PM.

2.4 type 1, turbo. 220hp
    Hi Tobias, been thinking about your request for help with turboing a type 1 and it prompted me to have another look through your thread. I remember you said that handling was heavy and stiff. What's the braking and suspension set up on your car? Do you have discs all round and IRS, etc, etc? Hope so, with that amount of power for such a light body.
    Cheers, Alistair

PS .... or was it you who caused that fantastic chassis and yellow Nova body to be withdrawn from Ebay the other day?
    Last edited by BlueNova; 14-11-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    PS .... or was it you who caused that fantastic chassis and yellow Nova body to be withdrawn from Ebay the other day?
    Not me sadly....

I have uprated the brakes, gearbox and replaced the steering column. I just know there is a lot more to turboing an engine than just strapping it on....
    Current cars -
    Nova
    MGB GT 1974
    Triumph Stag 1976
    Honda CRV 2016

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Tobias
    How have you updated the brakes, what have you changed to?
    Any mods to the suspension?
    What you don’t want is a bullet that does not turn safely or stop !!