Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: slow cranking...tight engine..?

Small update.

After some teething troubles with the carbs (I've swapped form 34ICTs to 36IDFs) my Nova is once again mobile under its own steam. I took it for a loop round the block, so I could point it nose down in the drive, and it performed well. The hard starting problem seems to have been cured, at least.

I can now focus on more tasks to bring it back up to an MOT-able state
    cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wizrod View Post
    Small update.

After some teething troubles with the carbs (I've swapped form 34ICTs to 36IDFs) my Nova is once again mobile under its own steam. I took it for a loop round the block, so I could point it nose down in the drive, and it performed well. The hard starting problem seems to have been cured, at least.

I can now focus on more tasks to bring it back up to an MOT-able state
    Stoneleigh 2018 is on for you then

A little more progress today. The wiring for the dash lights/gauges have been re-connected in the re-furbed engine bay. its probably neater now thtait bas been for the last 20 years!

I now need to start work on the re-working of the flip front. I plan to alter it so the upper section pivots forward, then up, similar to domr BMWs & Saabs. this will allow the front undertray to be fixed, rather than pivoting with the upper section,as it does now. I have sourced a reasonably clean MK2 undertray which will replace th eMK1 item that came with the car. This will also allow me to move the roof pump up front, so allowing me to complete the re-vamp of the engine bay.
    cheers

Paul

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?6828-slow-cranking-tight-engine&p=123985

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    Well, if the compressions are down on one cylinder bank I guess that is a good opportunity to sort out the slow cranking. I too have had troubles with starter motor bushes, but low compression suggests another underlying issue. Engine out could be the best way to resolve it once and for all. Good luck.

Lauren
    Agree with Lauren on that. Once outside you could strip down to the point of problem. It will be good if you could have a gearbox around to start it outside the car and listen for tell tale signs of damage. Strip all the plate works off and the put carburettor mountings back distributor left alone couple plug wires and start it. Dont let it run for more than about 2minutes at a time to determine the culprit piston. All the best!

It seems Iam a we bit late!! Congratularions and keep up the good work!!!
    Last edited by Johan; 17-03-2018 at 02:34 PM.