Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: slow cranking...tight engine..?

This quick 'drop the motor to replace the piston rings and investigate the odd tightness quickly before the MOT' malarkey seem&s to have developed into a mini resto!! So far the jobs added to the list include...

• return to stock cooling: replace missing tinware; remove external cooler & filter.
    • de-gunk and paint the engine bay
    • clean and repaint all the tinware
    • tidy up the engine bay and rear light wiring.
    • replace the fuel filler pipe.
    • wire to fuel pump to auto-stop is the engine stops.
    • rewire the roof pump , including adding a fuse!
    • install the rear view cctv I bought years ago!
    • attempt to add new panelling to the engine bay to keep exhaust heat from the cooling air.
    • move the roof pump to the forward compartment.
    • ...and probably a bunch more will crop up as I progress

All this in the knowledge that without the Nova 'on the road', I can't crack on with my other projects...

Good thing it's all good fun
    cheers

Paul

Its been ages, but I thought I post up some progress...

The motor has been out apart (well..top end only) and has gone back together with new Bs&Ps, as well a strip, check-over & good clean to the heads.

I also treated the heads to a mild port-smoothing & a re-grind of the valbes & seats.

It all went back together with a little, but not too much drama.

I initially planned to return the ICT34s that the motor hasbeen usign for years, but I've now deceided to fit the (now freshly cleaned) ex-Alfa-Sud 36IDFs that I've also had for years...

I still need to sort out a suitable linkage for these IDFs (the Scat linkage the ICTs used won't work), but I did manage to get the motor running this afternoon

I've a way to go before the car is driveable, but it started nice & easily (even whit the ignition timing only roughly set) and sounded wonderful!

So far, so good.
    Last edited by wizrod; 03-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Sounds very promising, well done. Nice to see 36 IDFs going to a good home, they were only ever made for the Alfasud. I guess you need some sort of adjustable throttle bar, isn't there one with a hex bar between the two carbs, with an adjustable slidey link? Or is that the SCAT one? Apart from the small choke size the 36 should be similar to other Weber IDF carbs, which I know can be fitted to VW engines...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Cheers Lauren,

I'm not a fan of hex bar linkages, with the possible exception of the Berg linkage.

The Scat linkage is (I think) designed for the ICT, in that the spindles turn in the same direction, so the linkage pushes the lever on one carb and pulls the other.

The IDFs are mirror images, so the linkage needs push/pull both sides. The simplest approach is the CSP linkage. Not the cheapest, but we'll made.

The jetting is interesting. Originally they would have been on a 1500cc motor. The idle jets are about right for a 1600acvw...52s, where 50-55 are recommended. The main & A.C. jets are both a bit bigger than might be usual for a vw motor, but the ETs are F50s, so I have no idea how they will work with those 2 jets.

At least the motor runs, so for now I will leave well alone and concentrate on getting the carbs balanced, the will focus on getting the MOT. Once that is out of the way, I'll start to think about tuning.
    cheers

Paul

Paul,

You must feel really great to hear that engine running! I'm still at the "body off welding chassis" stage and my engine's sitting at the side of the garage looking very sad. Can't wait to get to the stage in my rebuild when I can hear her burst into life after 26+ years (hopefully!!)

Keep the updates coming ... for those of us with so much to do, it's uplifting to hear tales from those who are nearing the finishing line .....

Alistair

TY BlueNova...

the immediate tasks are relatively straightforward:

• Install a suitable carb linkage
    • Balance the carbs
    • wire the engine bay - ie the various senders, the Alt/Regulator & the auto-cur off for the fuel pump.
    • trim/fettle the rear wheel arches a little to fit the monster rear wheels I've transferred fro my Volks-Rod.
    • wire in a push-button starter - the key starter on the Corsa PAS column seems to have stopped working (...longer term fix).

That little lot should get the car drive-able, if not quite MOT-able.

Next the plan is to complete/re-work the flip up front, which will allow me to re-locate the roof pump up front, freeing up space in the engine bay, which will allow me to finish re-working the rear-bodywork.

I'm running an experiment to see if, should the motor have the same engine seal & ventilation as in a standard VW, whether I can run successfully without an external cooler. To complete this, the roof pump will need to be moved.

None of that will be intrinsically difficult...it just needs to be done in the right order, and I turn the car round, so it needs to be at the least, drive-able before I can start.
    cheers

Paul

With a little coaxing Forward metals will slice you some 8mm alloy discs and supply the slabs of alloy to make this set up, in the States this sells for over $350.
    This my effort, not too brilliant as I used my Bosch drill as a lathe.
    IMG434.jpgleft pullys.jpgright pulley.jpg

Couple of motorcycle cable adjusters, barrel nipples and some loooong 2mm bowden cable (one of the universal cable of the 'bay will do. jobs a good (and very smooth) one.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

aha. I knew I'd seen something like that...couldn't find any pics when I was searching the other day, but I did remember the $$$ price tag!

In the end I've gone for the CSP linkage. While I'm sure I could fabricate something suitable, I figured for the price, the build quality would be much better than I could make...

That said, I'll keep it in the back of my mind for a future project
    cheers

Paul

So...the linkage arrived this afternoon...can't fault Machine7 through eBay. Picked up at lunchtime from my local Argos 🙄

It's now fitted and short of having to tweak the condenser on the Dizzy, it went on in 10mins.

I haven't yet properly balanced or tuned the carbs yet, but it's a great feeling to know that the engine will fire up on demand for the 1st time in 20 years!

If anyone is thinking rebuilding their motor but is a little daunted by the prospect....go for it! It's not that difficult!
    cheers

Paul

Did you ever establish the route cause of the slow cranking engine?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns