Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen Curvature

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Windscreen Curvature

Hi guys - I've encountered a slightly vexing problem on my rebuild. When I cut out part of the canopy inner skin in order to re-site the wiper motor, I inadvertently caused the outer skin to warp, resulting in a pronounced dip in the screen mounting flange which resulted in a water leak.

While trying to address this problem I have encountered a more significant problem, which is that the base of the windscreen is above the line of the bodywork over the centre third of the screen width. No problem at the lower corners, the sides or across the top - just the bottom centre third.

The consequence of this is that water has got into the laminate along the exposed bottom edge and caused delamination.

This problem appears to be present in both my orange ADD canopy and my original green one. Can anyone tell me if they have encountered the same problem (i.e. screen sitting proud of the bodywork)? If not, I have to conclude that over the years there has been a degree of relaxation in the canopy moulding.

Fixing this issue is turning out to be a bit of a headache, I have separated the inner and outer flange skins over nearly half the width of the aperture and I am going to have to split a bit more before I can persuade the canopy moulding to follow the line of the windscreen!

Reason why I need to fix this is that I don't want my new windscreen to go the same way as the old one!!!

Thanks guys,

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Not quite the same, but similar enough. I don't know if you remember from my posts that my windscreen pillars were warped because of the body being bolted down on the chassis when the previous owner had welded the frame head on at an upward angle? After lots of heat and stretching with jacks I got it close, but the windscreen was still proud of the pillars in the centre section, but below the body line in the centre of the roof and bonnet area. fitting the windscreen rubber solved the problem and looking at it now you would not see any high or low areas. the centre of the seal also had a butyl strip to seal between the lamination.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    the base of the windscreen is above the line of the bodywork over the centre third of the screen width. No problem at the lower corners, the sides or across the top - just the bottom centre third.
    Lauren,

I believe this is common to all our cars, maybe to different degrees. On my Alfa Nova the original screen sat proud in that same area, the original builder used sealant to try bridge the gap and mask the fact and protect the screen from delamination. This actually worked as when I took the screen out 20 odd years later it had not delaminated and now is about to go onto someone else’s Nova.

When I got my new Pilkington screen it also sat proud in that same area, but also a top corner too. You may remember from my old photos in photobucket the picture of a 16KG kettlebell resting on the base of the screen. I used 2 fan heaters inside the car directed to the screen with the kettlebell resting on the bottom to help it conform to the canopy. After about 3 hours of heat it had actually gone down about 3-4mm, although not enough to go fully below the canopy recess lip. However, once it was fitted with the windscreen seal it hide the fact that it still sat proud about 1-2mm in the centre.

My solution won’t help you as the screen is fitted, unless you want to risk taking it out and starting again?

I removed my screen some months ago and have yet to refit it. When I rest it in the aperture it sits proud of the flange in the centre at the top of the screen (i.e the opposite of what you have described) but fits well all along the lower edge and the two sides and all four corners. I plan to do as David has described and use sealer to bridge the gap in the centre top section when I refit the screen. Mine is a MK2 so perhaps that explains the difference?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Similar to my screen fit in that each of the four corners sit below the top surface but the centre of the top and bottom are a few mm proud. This was true on the original screen, the screen fitted now, and hopefully the new screen in storage will be symmetrical in the same way.

The screen was well sealed with sealant which was good for several years when on the road, but due to a long time stored outside has started to delaminate (not just in the centre - hence the new screen waiting in the wings).

Mine is also mkII.

How proud is yours in the centre?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Thanks guys, your feedback is greatly appreciated. It looks like there is some evidence to suggest that this problem is endemic to the design of the canopy rather than anything I have done - apart from the wiper motor thing of course!

The screen is proud of the bodywork by a couple of mm in the centre. Using spacers under the top corners of the screen allows the base curvature to tilt more into line, and splitting the inner and outer skins along the line of the flange has allowed me to flex the outer skin to further reduce the dimension almost to zero. It looks like this is the best I can hope to achieve with the factory mouldings, so I will have to make sure that the sealant is built up around this area when the new screen is finally fitted.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

why not go with one of the new generation of seals? They look smart, are reasonably flush fitting as per mine and Jim's and hide many sins

Last edited by islandman; 18-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.

That looks excellent, David - where did you get the seal?

Was it something custom, ordered through the club, or did you make it up yourself from a length of off-the-shelf rubber seal?

P.
    cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wizrod View Post
    That looks excellent, David - where did you get the seal?

Was it something custom, ordered through the club, or did you make it up yourself from a length of off-the-shelf rubber seal?

P.

A whole thread on the topic here : http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...indscreen+seal

basically my windscreen fitters fitted it, so no its not custom. It a generic seal the windscreen guys use when refitting screens. Mine was done at a local family run business in Chelmsford, in fact Jim even took his there and they did his side windows and sunroof too.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    A whole thread on the topic here : http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...indscreen+seal

basically my windscreen fitters fitted it, so no its not custom. It a generic seal the windscreen guys use when refitting screens. Mine was done at a local family run business in Chelmsford, in fact Jim even took his there and they did his side windows and sunroof too.
    TY for the link!

Mine is installed well below (1cm..ish ) the outer skin level with not obvious bowing. Its held in place with black sealant (outside) and clear silicone sealant inside.

Its not particularly elegant, but is certainly effective.

That said, I could certainly be persuaded to investigate something akin to the rubber seal you have, should the 'screen need to come out at some point.

P.
    cheers

Paul