Thread: Read disk brake conversions EMPI? What else is out there?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

Rear disk brake conversions EMPI? What else is out there?

Hi Everyone,
    I am just looking at options for a rear disk brake conversion for the PPC Nova.
    I saw the earlier thread on this subject (~2013)
    www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?5725-EMPI-rear-disk-Conversion

... which questioned the quality of the EMPI rear disk kit, but I know of at least 2 Novas which currently have them. Here is what I am talking about:
    www.vwheritage.com/ac598222871-rear-disc-kit-empi-t1-73-s-axle-irs-4-130

The standard EMPI kit has a pressed steel bracket (between hub and caliper) the Delux kit has a beefier looking cast bracket.

One thing I don't like about the EMPI kit is the single pot 'floating' caliper, it seems a bit naff, although maybe it’s needed to facilitate the handbrake mechanism?

If you currently use the EMPI kit I'd be interested to know your opinion.

I heard about a similar Red9 rear disk conversion, however it isn't on their website and they couldn't be bothered to respond to my email asking about it.

Does the EMPI kit work well for you? Does anyone have the Red9 kit?
    What other options are out there for a rear disk conversion?

Steve
    Last edited by steve; 12-11-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Typo

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    One thing I don't like about the EMPI kit is the single pot 'floating' caliper, it seems a bit naff, although maybe it’s needed to facilitate the handbrake mechanism?
    Hi Steve - single-pot floating caliper is pretty much the norm for all rear disc brake set-ups these days. Because most of the braking effort goes to the front wheels (even with the rear-biased Nova), you don't need mega braking effort on the rear wheels, and as as you say, the floating caliper design can also easily interface with a mechanical handbrake.

Single-pot sliding calipers can be immensely powerful - my old Baccaruda had Kelsey-Hayes single pot sliding caliper front brakes with vented discs (servo-assisted of course) and they stopped a ton-and-a-half of car in very short order! The KH calipers were preferred over the 4-pot fixed Bendix calipers used on the earlier cars because the 4-pots had a tendency to seize...

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am just looking at options for a rear disk brake conversion for the PPC Nova.
    I saw the earlier thread on this subject (~2013)
    www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?5725-EMPI-rear-disk-Conversion

... which questioned the quality of the EMPI rear disk kit, but I know of at least 2 Novas which currently have them. Here is what I am talking about:
    www.vwheritage.com/ac598222871-rear-disc-kit-empi-t1-73-s-axle-irs-4-130

The standard EMPI kit has a pressed steel bracket (between hub and caliper) the Delux kit has a beefier looking cast bracket.

If you currently use the EMPI kit I'd be interested to know your opinion.

I heard about a similar Red9 rear disk conversion, however it isn't on their website and they couldn't be bothered to respond to my email asking about it.

Does the EMPI kit work well for you? Does anyone have the Red9 kit?
    What other options are out there for a rear disk conversion?

Steve
    I ran the EMPI rear kit on the last Nova and it performed very well. I did have front/bias adjustment so got the balance set nicely. Handbrake worked well too.

I have the Red 9 kit now on current Nova, again with pedal box offering front/rear bias. I also have the Red 9 vented disc kit up front. Car stops superbly - we have a dual carriageway very near us, that at certain times of day is empty, so have done a fair bit of testing up and down, and can stop swiftly from high speed with confidence. All I would say is I find the hand brake less efficient with the Red 9 kit - but I think part of that is the cables and where the adjusters are in relation to e joining sections - I plan to get new cables made to length at some point.

I think the EMPI kit continues to offer good value for money

You can always use a Subaru conversion from our Friends down under at Subagears.

Just need bits of a donor Subaru..

http://www.subarugears.com/subabrakes/

On the back of the Eureka I have Fiat 125 callipers with Handbrake & can't get solid disk. Really want to replace these for something more modern so this is attractive. I'm not keen on the Empi set up but have no valid reason as to why!

Cheers

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"