Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Drive shafts / CV Joints for Subaru to IRS Chassis

  1. #1
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1

    Drive shafts / CV Joints for Subaru to IRS Chassis

    I am trying to work out the drive shaft parts needed for a Subaru gearbox to IRS Chassis stub axle.

    I have T2 Kombi Flanges on the gearbox, so I need 100mm T2/Kombi inner CV joints.
    and (according to the Subarugears website) I need a 15 5/8 inch, 33 Spline Axle, the EMPI 16-2202 Chromoly axle looks interesting.
    Finally, the outer CV joints are 90mm 'normal' IRS Type 1 joints.

    I plan on putting 100+ bhp through the axles, so uprated parts are the way to go(?)
    Does this sound right? I just buy the bits and they all fit together?
    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I am trying to work out the drive shaft parts needed for a Subaru gearbox to IRS Chassis stub axle.

    I have T2 Kombi Flanges on the gearbox, so I need 100mm T2/Kombi inner CV joints.
    and (according to the Subarugears website) I need a 15 5/8 inch, 33 Spline Axle, the EMPI 16-2202 Chromoly axle looks interesting.
    Finally, the outer CV joints are 90mm 'normal' IRS Type 1 joints.

    I plan on putting 100+ bhp through the axles, so uprated parts are the way to go(?)
    Does this sound right? I just buy the bits and they all fit together?
    Any thoughts?
    Sounds about right Steve - I have my shopping list somewhere, but sounds familiar. I had difficulties getting the shortened driveshafts and ended up on the phone to a Baja shop in California! Bug pack folded while I was sourcing!

    your earlier pics also look about right and comparable to Subarugears images.

    3ABD727A-9C33-4538-BA91-1B8531A22DF3-7700-0000097739EF2B46.jpg09125709-475F-4C2E-9306-CB6822DA5AE4-7700-00000977D1ACF5CC.jpg


    Was your chassis originally IRS, or converted? If converted the frame horns are not the same angle as IRS - they are more clearances I think. Flatlands clearanced mine to improve fit. These are not pics from mine but give the idea:

    182532EF-27FF-4EED-96C1-B3F78ACF4CFD-7700-0000097883AE33C0.jpgD2991DCA-A0DD-4417-A86E-D68A2495FD69-7700-0000097894EB0B70.jpg
    All the best,

    Jim

    Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics



    Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

  3. #3
    This was my frame horn after clearancing:

    IMG_0272.jpg

    And in terms of the transmission lifting the engine - it does!

    This was mine (not my final engine) with the Scooby lump fitted and the cuts that were made to make it fit ahead of us fabricating a better solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All the best,

    Jim

    Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics



    Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

  4. #4
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post

    Was your chassis originally IRS, or converted? If converted the frame horns are not the same angle as IRS - they are more clearances I think. Flatlands clearanced mine to improve fit. These are not pics from mine but give the idea:

    182532EF-27FF-4EED-96C1-B3F78ACF4CFD-7700-0000097883AE33C0.jpgD2991DCA-A0DD-4417-A86E-D68A2495FD69-7700-0000097894EB0B70.jpg
    Is that safe Jim?

    Surely it'll reduce the longitudinal rigidity of the frame horn ... unless some additional members are added to stiffen it up again??

    Alistair

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Is that safe Jim?

    Surely it'll reduce the longitudinal rigidity of the frame horn ... unless some additional members are added to stiffen it up again??

    Alistair

    There are are certainly some scary attempts online that I wouldn’t trust!

    Mark at Flatlands did this for me and it is heavily reinforced and done on his jig to ensure everything stays where it should. The fromhorns are also braced to shock towers etc. It is recreating the profile IRS horns have, and in my opinion safer than the conversions out there where people graft on a rear URS cradle cut from another car! As ever it comes down to the time spent prepping and building back strength.
    All the best,

    Jim

    Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics



    Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

  6. #6
    Senior Member BlueNova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Posts
    411
    Sounds good Jim, especially the bracing to the shock towers ... and the fact that Flatlands did your work! Cheers, Alistair

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I am trying to work out the drive shaft parts needed for a Subaru gearbox to IRS Chassis stub axle.

    I have T2 Kombi Flanges on the gearbox, so I need 100mm T2/Kombi inner CV joints.
    and (according to the Subarugears website) I need a 15 5/8 inch, 33 Spline Axle, the EMPI 16-2202 Chromoly axle looks interesting.
    Finally, the outer CV joints are 90mm 'normal' IRS Type 1 joints.

    I plan on putting 100+ bhp through the axles, so uprated parts are the way to go(?)
    Does this sound right? I just buy the bits and they all fit together?
    Any thoughts?
    Found my parts list Steve - it was on an email I sent to Mark at Flatlands when it was all shipped to him.

    You are correct:

    4 x CV joints,
    2 x stock beetle outers and 2 x 100mm inners

    2 x 15 & 5/8 driveshafts

    Empi Chromoly IRS Race Axles 15 5/8" T2 Box/T1 Joints Reference: 2/AC501162202

    You will also need a compatible slave cylinder for the clutch.

    I recall it being a nervy process buying all this stuff and not being certain how it goes together!

    Hope this reassures!
    All the best,

    Jim

    Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics



    Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car

  8. #8
    ***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim73vw View Post
    Found my parts list Steve - it was on an email I sent to Mark at Flatlands when it was all shipped to him.

    You are correct:

    4 x CV joints,
    2 x stock beetle outers and 2 x 100mm inners

    2 x 15 & 5/8 driveshafts

    Empi Chromoly IRS Race Axles 15 5/8" T2 Box/T1 Joints Reference: 2/AC501162202

    You will also need a compatible slave cylinder for the clutch.

    I recall it being a nervy process buying all this stuff and not being certain how it goes together!

    Hope this reassures!
    Hi Jim: Credit card will take a hit this evening - thank you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •