Thread: Interesting article about the Purvis Eureka

Interesting article about the Purvis Eureka

Allan Purvis sent me a link to this magazine which makes interesting reading for anyone interested in Nova's

https://www.shannons.com.au/library/...x.html?page=52
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Cheers, a really good read

Bushboy

PS at least one of the 683 is now residing in the UK
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Fantastic! Thats a great story! To see that snapshot of Australian Reek history put a smile on my face...
    Makes me wish we had a set of Nova moulds in the UK, but for that to happen...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Fantastic! Thats a great story! To see that snapshot of Australian Reek history put a smile on my face...
    Makes me wish we had a set of Nova moulds in the UK, but for that to happen...?
    Phill, thanks for sharing ... I enjoyed reading it! I liked the optimistic "8 weekends to build it" comment in the black & white Reek advert!

Gaisa, doesn't Alex have the moulds ... or at least some of them?

Alistair

PS ... the claim of "220km/hr in 4th gear" for the rotary powered Reek is scary!! I assume the chassis and suspension will have been significantly upgraded!?!
    Last edited by BlueNova; 17-12-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: PS added

From what I understand, Alex only has some of the moulds, not enough to make a complete shell.
    If I'm right, that would require someone pulling a cast from a clean shell.
    I'm a realist however, I may dream about building a car from scratch, but such a venture is currently outside my ability and if I ever get the funds together to get a Nova of my own, I would need it to be close to complete, at the very least.

As for the rotary engine getting to such a crazy speed? possibly, but as you inferred, it probably required quite a few alterations to make it viable

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Similar claims were made for the Sterling, back in the day. I think the pressure was on to give the already exceptional styling "go" as well as "show". This of course was not Richard Oakes' original intention - his idea was to make a supercar shape as affordable and easy to construct as a buggy, a modest aim which the Nova achieved completely.

American claims also suggest a propensity for front end lift at 135 mph, but with such large variations in build quality, ride height (all Californian Sterlings were lifted at the front to meet headlamp height regulations, for example) you could not attribute any of these claims to any aerodynamic deficiency on the part of the car itself.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Phill, thanks for sharing ... I enjoyed reading it! I liked the optimistic "8 weekends to build it" comment in the black & white Reek advert!

Gaisa, doesn't Alex have the moulds ... or at least some of them?

Alistair

PS ... the claim of "220km/hr in 4th gear" for the rotary powered Reek is scary!! I assume the chassis and suspension will have been significantly upgraded!?!
    On a private road, a reasonably long private road, I have had the V6 reek up to 120 mph (193kph) 220kmp is only 136 mph so it is feasible. My reek was still pulling at 120 but then survivability kicked in & I lifted off. I can't recall an front lifting but it did feel a bit "floaty"

Anonymous
    Last edited by bushboy; 19-12-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: can't spell!!!
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    On a private road, a reasonably long private road ....
    Hi Anonymous,
    Hahaha .... that sounds a lot like a topical film. "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away .... " and at the risk of confusing 2 films .... "Give me Warp Factor 9 Mr Scott!"