Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VHI - Vehicles of Historic Interest

VHI - Vehicles of Historic Interest

Any vehicle more than 40 years old can be classified as VHI (vehicle of historic interest) and will be exempt from MOT testing as from 20th May this year providing they have not undergone substantial changes within the last 30 years.

It is therefore my understanding that any Nova's first registered prior to January 1988 will no longer require MOT testing (providing they retain an age related plate and not a Q plate).

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e-guidance.pdf

Your thoughts on this?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

It's still an ill thought-out, stupid idea on safety monitoring grounds, but I guess it's going to happen....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Interesting what they say about changes to suspension (eg Red9 etc) being a 'substantial' change (hence you need an mot) HOWEVER if it improves handling or environmental issues then it's an 'acceptable' change, which presumably means you don't need an mot?!?

I for one will be submitting my Nova for an mot ... when I eventually get to that stage!!

.... key conclusion appears to be that if you want to drive your Nova to Stones this year, you must have an mot .... unless your one of those who's thinking about taking it on a trailer, mentioning no names ... Eh, Mark? ... oops!

Alistair

While a car may be considered a vehicle of historical interest and MAY be exempt from MoT's, only an idiot would go without some kind of road safety check and since an MoT fits that bill, why change it? They exist for a reason, after all.

My own thoughts are to obtain an engineers report on the car rather than submit it for an MOT. If it fails an MOT it goes on record - and stays on record, so why blight the cars history in this way. An engineers report would be tailored to take into account the vehicles age and circumstances and would be much more relevant than a modern day MOT test which includes environmental concerns (e.g emmissions) which are not safety related anyway but apply to modern day standards rather then the standards set 40 years ago when things like airbags and ABS brakes didn't exist on production vehicles. I suspect that insurance companies will insist on an engineers report before offering insurance any way. This is the route I plan to take.

I plan to MOT anyway, but also reading the document I think we would have to anyway. see below in bold

"In addition if a vehicle (including a motorcycle):
    • has been issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ prefix; or
    is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model ofvehicle; or
    • is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance; or
    is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, orold parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoquebodyshell changing the general appearance of the vehicle;

it will be considered to have been substantially changed and will not be exemptfrom MOT testing."

Seems clear that Kit cars are considered substantially changed

I had originally thought that too Dave - but if you read on further you find that if it was done more than 30 years ago it is still eligible for a VHI

i.e.
    In addition if a vehicle (including a motorcycle):

• has been issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ prefix; or

• is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle; or

• is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance; or

• is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell changing the general appearance of the vehicle;it will be considered to have been substantially changed and will not be exempt from MOT testing.

However if any of the four above types of vehicle is taxed as an “historic vehicle” and has not been modified during the previous 30 years, it can be considered as a VHI.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    However if any of the four above types of vehicle is taxed as an “historic vehicle” and has not been modified during the previous 30 years, it can be considered as a VHI.
    Yes you are right, although I can't imagine many of us could say we hadn't modified cars in the last 30 years.

Its probably a moot point for most of us as I would want piece of mind from having an MOT. It was only because of the last MOT that I knew about the interference joint on my steering rack having lots of play in it. I wouldn't want my steering coming apart whilst on the move, it was a pain to fix but absolutely necessary.

It all seems to come down to what is classed as "modified".

I can't help but feel someone will find them self in court over the cost of an MOT.

The regs for an MOT takes into account the age of a car. Just take the emissions test. If it's a Q plate you don't have one but would you drive down the road with black crap streaming out the back!!

Even if I didn't need one I'd take my Nova for one to cover my arse for what it cost's.

For me if it failed it failed for a reason.

You pay your money & make your choice. After all its your ride.

Happy Nova's
    Cheers.
    Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Phill,

Are you concerned about an MOT station looking for an excuse to fail the car because they've never come across one before? If so, it might be worth chatting to the Lothians VW Club to see who their members use near to you for their VW Beetle MOTs. You can find their website here .... http://www.lvwc.co.uk/home.html

Alternatively, I've been using a place near me for the past 15+ years for my conventional vehicles. They only do MOTs so have no vested interest in generating repair work, and I've found them to be very fair. When I get to that stage with my Nova I intend to discuss it with them first, perhaps with the use of photos, to get a feel for their approach to kit cars. I'm optimistic, but if I got the 'vibe' that it was too unconventional for them, my next step would be to speak to the Beetle guys at the Lothian VW Club.

Cheers, Alistair