Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibreglass seats

Fibreglass seats

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-Lowside-F ... 1e5ae2157e

Has anybody used these before, Im considering them because I cant find any other seats that will fit, they look uncomfortable tho.

Re: Fibreglass seats

I sat in a similar pair in another car a couple years ago. Not as uncomfortable as you think, but a little snug for my fat ass. They are too upright for a Sterling/Nova application, so I can't say if they would fit in an Eagle or not?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

They look like the current crop of Caterham 7 seats. You can get foam inserts, but as Rick says, if they aren't your size they will be uncomfortable. The good news is they are narrow enough to fit in a 7even so they will fit in your Eagle! You will have to buy or fabricate a set of side mountings (probably fabricate as the usual side mount plates won't allow you to recline the seat far enough). Once it is at the right angle you might find the base of the seat under your knees is uncomfortably high - most fixed-back seats are designed for a more upright driving position, which these days I find monumentally unpleasant

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Apart from being bl**dy expensive for what they are, more so when you consider foam and covers, width is good as is height but angles all wrong you need nearly 45 degrees in a SS/ Nova, as you can see below, unless you are very short, I'm a (heavy) std 5'10" and even with the floors slopped to minus 3" I still need all the slope I can get. Look at Mazda 5, Toyota MR or Jap van seats (Rascal, Carry, Vanette etc, they are just right, I have them and they are good a fit), not very sporty but comfy and they recline. The seats used in buggies like the GS Moon 260 and 400, etc (most Chinese stuff) are a good fit too and cheap at £90 each but again too upright but with a steel tube frames you could at least strip, cut and weld or heat and bend to the right angle.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I know I'm coming to this thread 7+ years late(!!)....

However I'm running a pair of GRP race seats in my Nova (with a MK2 roof) with no problems.

They are definitely a 'snug' fit, but once in, the feeling of security is amazing!

There are definitely tilted back...About a 3" height differential between the front and back mounting points, but this makes for a comfortable seating position, in terms of reaching the wheel & pedals and the head room (for my 6') is fine.

The other advantage is that since there is no padding, they are a lot smaller than 'normal' car seats, to there is much more flexibility with regard to locating the to get just the right position.

Anyway, there you go....My 2p worth... 😀
    cheers

Paul

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Hi Wizrod,
    I'd be interested to know what you've chosen seat wise, any pics/links?
    I am considering GRP seats to maximise headroom (I'm 6' 1) in my MK1
    Have you dropped the floor? by how much?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wizrod View Post
    I know I'm coming to this thread 7+ years late(!!)....

However I'm running a pair of GRP race seats in my Nova (with a MK2 roof) with no problems.

They are definitely a 'snug' fit, but once in, the feeling of security is amazing!

There are definitely tilted back...About a 3" height differential between the front and back mounting points, but this makes for a comfortable seating position, in terms of reaching the wheel & pedals and the head room (for my 6') is fine.

The other advantage is that since there is no padding, they are a lot smaller than 'normal' car seats, to there is much more flexibility with regard to locating the to get just the right position.

Anyway, there you go....My 2p worth... 😀

Hi Steve,

I'm sure I've posted some pix in a thread on here of the seats installed in my Nova....Can find it, though!! I'll grab some more tomorrow and post them.

Since there is no padding, you sit much lower, so you will get more Headroom from dropped pans (mine are dropped about 2-3 inches)

P.
    cheers

Paul

I found those pics, but will wait until I'm home to post them as they are big.

However, to give an idea of placement, the bottom, back edge is about as far back as the seatbelt bolt on the tunnel.
    cheers

Paul

here you go...

IMG_20161009_132400_s.jpg
    You can see here how much space there is round the seat. there is plenty of scope to move it about a bit to get the perfect location. Also, front 2 mounting points are about level withthe original floor level. The rear of the seat is resting on a length of 20mm angle iron.

There would be plenty of scope to tweak the position of the seat to gain an extra inch (or more?) of head clearance, I think.

Here is how the seat fits in the context of the whole cockpit.
    IMG_20161009_132305_s.jpg

Re: what are they...? I bought them from ebay a few years ago and can't recall the seller, but they are something like these, though mine were a lot cheaper (I think £150 for the pair).
    Last edited by wizrod; 24-04-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Hi Wizrod,
    I'd be interested to know what you've chosen seat wise, any pics/links?
    I am considering GRP seats to maximise headroom (I'm 6' 1) in my MK1
    Have you dropped the floor? by how much?

Steve
    I'm fitting these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-UN...QAAOSw3ydVksK-

They are great for width, but in order to be able to close the roof without my head sticking through the roof, the front needs to be at least 2 inches higher than the back. My floor is dropped, by a couple of inches.

20170327_100833.jpg