Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V5c change of Make to Nova

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries

V5c change of Make to Nova

My V5c has a Make (field D1) of VOLKSWAGEN, I'd like to change that to Nova.

I believe my car is ~unusual in that when it was first built in 1980,
    it was registered as a new vehicle with a 'W' (i.e. 1980) Reg.
    (the Beetle donor car was an earlier L reg).

The V5c Special Notes says:
    1. REBUILT - ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW.
    ...which I think implies that the car is a special, i.e. not a single make vehicle.

But I'm not sure if that makes any difference to anything...

I have some paperwork from 1980 which shows the car was built, insured & MOT'd, back then,
    so the failure to change the Make to Nova, was an oversight.

So if I supply DVLA with evidence that the car was built as a Nova from day 1, and ask them to change the Make accordingly, what could possibly go wrong?

My first Nova was also a W reg, and I bought it early enough (I didn't build it) that I didn't have to MOT it for a couple of years. I think the ability to register a freshly built kit as a 'new' car didn't last that many more years.
    Changing the vehicle make to 'Nova' shouild be a formality - IF your car is substantially standard then you could probably get historic status if you wanted a black plate and no tax. Ant had a W plate car too, and was going to go that route, but didn't get round to it before selling the car on.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

I've written to DVLA twice now, both my cars (one being your old one) now state Nova as the make. As long as you lay out the facts (purchased, when first registered etc..), pointing out the following :-

1) You have seen many comments on web forums about the importance of correcting V5's
    2) Historically DVLA was inconsistent in how they registered our kit cars, and several of your club members have successfully now corrected theirs and you wish to do so too.

This the lady I wrote to, she was very helpful and reasonable.

Sharon Knight
    Kits & Rebuilds
    D4
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA991AN

I agree with Islandman

I had one of the Avantes changed from
    Model Sports
    Make Volkswagen

To just Model Avante

and my Nova from
    Model Beetle 1500
    Make Volkswagen

To just
    Model Nova

I think DVLA must keep a lot more information than you can see on a V5 Like colour changes, engine changes ect and I think if you supply them with the info that sort of ties in with what the have on record it goes through fine. I sent my stuff to the same person as David.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Just to update this thread ... I received the V5c from DVLA in the post today,
    I asked for the Make to be changed to "Nova", (was Volkswagen).
    In fact they changed it to: VW Nova De Luxe

It's not what I wanted, but better than nothing...?
    Any Thoughts?

MyV5c_Seg.jpg

Well if they're calling yours a deluxe model - I'm going to ask they'll call mine a VW Nova Le Mans
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Blog Entries
    Hmmm Maybe "VW Nova De Luxe" came from the evidence I supplied to DVLA...

When I contacted DVLA, I sent the original MOT from 1980 which had the Make of car as "VW Nova"
    and I sent the 1979 receipt from Nova Cars Ltd in Ravensthorpe, the original builder purchased a De Luxe Kit.

(Back in the day you could purchase a new Nova as a Basic kit, which consisted of the Fibreglass panels only, or Deluxe kit which included Wheels Tyres, Sunroof, Carpet kit).

I'm tempted to go back to DVLA and ask them to look at this again ...
    But first a question: What is the benefit, if any, of having the V5C Make set to "Nova"

They are unbelievable ( made me laugh though)

In my eyes and I'm sure I am probably wrong if the V5 just says Nova with no reference to VW there is less evidence of the heritage as to what is under the body, so if you have radically changed things or even put a custom chassis there who would be the wiser? Now I'm sure that the DVLA keep a note of all the changes to a V5 they are just not present on the V5 so ultimately they would know the complete heritage and history but the MOT man wouldn't and neither would Buffy's mates! given that you have the original VW chassis with the numbers I guess it wouldn't really make any difference to you unless you want to change the chassis (given what you have got and the money spent I guess that's unlikely) so stick with what you have got it says Nova.

Dirk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Well if they're calling yours a deluxe model - I'm going to ask they'll call mine a VW Nova Le Mans
    I'll ask Bushboy if we can have a special roped-off area at Stones for the De Luxe & Le Mans versions...
    That's Stones 2022 in my case.
    Last edited by steve; 10-03-2018 at 01:56 AM.

When I changed one of mine I got the engine number wrong, got the V5 and then sent it back again to explain the mistake and they happily changed it a second time.

I would write back and explain the De luxe part, but also explain that "most" (ok maybe an exaggeration, at least I have two like that and so does Dirk) of your fellow Nova owners have the make just as "Nova" and can yours be corrected accordingly.