Thread: Nuno's Yellow Nova

Nuno's Yellow Nova

So, it all started on ebay, I've found this strange looking car, never seen anything before, googled it, and though "I have to have it". Googled a bit further, found this awesome forum, then this car's thread and finally decided it was something I had to bid on! I was already a proud owner of a 1971 Mini 1275 GT but I wanted another project.

After a few calls, I was on my way from London to Aberdeen, 9PM on a friday, after working for 8 hours, jumped in a van with a driver I didn't knew, on my way to buy a car I've haven't seen before, with a promise from the seller that he would "reserve" the car for me (unless someone would pop with more cash) and after reading on this car's thread that based on the whole story, the probability of the car actually be there would be very trim!

6AM, Aberdeen, there was the car..
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4...VIVHNmR1k/view

6:40AM, After loading it up, we got ourselves back on the road all the way to London. Can't remember the time I got home, but needless to say, I was dead.

25th November 2017, I've finally decided to start tearing down the car... I don't have much time to spend around the car, but bit by bit we've managed to separate it

I would put a bunch of photos I have here, but Google Drive doesn't like me so here's the link https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...ThHc3RHVVVVQ2M

Bottom line is, the chassis is to be discarded, I'm now in the process of finding a new one..

It's packed with a Pinto 2.0 engine

There's more to add to the story of the car so far, but that's a chat for another coffee!

And thank you to the whole community for all the help and ideas I've been able to "kindly copy"!

Kind Regards,
    Nuno Xavier
    1971 Mini 1275 GT (see photos)

1980 Nova (see photos)

Hi Nuno,

That's an excellent start with your thread!!

I did think the photos of your chassis suggested it would need a lot of work (or scrapping!). You say you're looking for a new chassis ... does it have to be a VW Beetle one in Portugal, or could you think about a Pie Valley one (that Mick and Alex have started). If you've not already seen Mick and Alex's threads, details of the Pie Valley chassis can be found at http://www.pievalleybuggies.co.uk/home.html

Best of luck and keep the thread and photos coming!

Alistair

Great to see all those pictures, and whilst the car looked to be in good condition outwardly, the beetle chassis is in a state. However, I wouldn't necessarily write it off just yet. Replacement floorpans are readily available and the Beetle backbone is usually quite sound. Replacing the floorpans is fairly straigh forward and not that difficult. I replaced mine and you can see the process here:-

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...y-begins/page3

New frame heads and beams can also be bought - replacing the beam is a straighforward bolt on job but replacing the frame head can be a bit more complex. Dirk did it with his Avante though sadly the pictures no longer show on his thread due to photobucket pullling the plug.

Good luck with the rebuild - I hope to see more of your progress. I've had my current car for 10 years now but only started rebuilding it 3 years ago so don't feel under any pressure from me to finish it soon.
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Wow; Good update and pics. That is quite a project.
    Swapping out the chassis gives you a clean start and some interesting options;
    such as converting to IRS, and sorting out the spring rates & ride height at the front.
    I like the colour and it looks like you have good workshop facilities there;
    Good luck with the build.

Nice update and pics. I think I would get the chassis shot blasted first and the see what is left chances are you could just get some repair panels to sort yours?
    I like the colour too but then I am biased.

Keep up the good work and the updates with photos.

Is that a Renault 12 estate next to the body? My first car was a 12

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi Nuno,

That's an excellent start with your thread!!

I did think the photos of your chassis suggested it would need a lot of work (or scrapping!). You say you're looking for a new chassis ... does it have to be a VW Beetle one in Portugal, or could you think about a Pie Valley one (that Mick and Alex have started). If you've not already seen Mick and Alex's threads, details of the Pie Valley chassis can be found at http://www.pievalleybuggies.co.uk/home.html

Best of luck and keep the thread and photos coming!

Alistair
    Sadly it can't be a custom build chassis, otherwise it would've been a great choice! But in Portugal it's a bit tricky to register a custom chassis, so I'll stick with the VW beetle one for now

1980 Nova (see photos)

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Great to see all those pictures, and whilst the car looked to be in good condition outwardly, the beetle chassis is in a state. However, I wouldn't necessarily write it off just yet. Replacement floorpans are readily available and the Beetle backbone is usually quite sound. Replacing the floorpans is fairly straigh forward and not that difficult. I replaced mine and you can see the process here:-

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...y-begins/page3

New frame heads and beams can also be bought - replacing the beam is a straighforward bolt on job but replacing the frame head can be a bit more complex. Dirk did it with his Avante though sadly the pictures no longer show on his thread due to photobucket pullling the plug.

Good luck with the rebuild - I hope to see more of your progress. I've had my current car for 10 years now but only started rebuilding it 3 years ago so don't feel under any pressure from me to finish it soon.
    Well if you look in the last photos of the folder, you'll see that the chassis is in a condition, it's all rusted ou, and to be honest, for roughly "500£" I can get another chassis in a better state, but I'm allowing myself to open my wallet, I don't have a wife yet to nag me about so

1980 Nova (see photos)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice update and pics. I think I would get the chassis shot blasted first and the see what is left chances are you could just get some repair panels to sort yours?
    I like the colour too but then I am biased.

Keep up the good work and the updates with photos.

Is that a Renault 12 estate next to the body? My first car was a 12

Dirk
    To be honest I'm not thinking about going through the headache to sand blasting something I know that less than half will return, when it's fairly cheap to start the restoration process with a better chassis.

If my memory doesn't fail me, the first one is a Renault 9 Turbo and the one in the back is a Renault 21 Turbo

1980 Nova (see photos)