Thread: Fixing lower panels

Fixing lower panels

I've always struggled to fit the nuts and bolts into the flanges of the lower panels when attaching these to the bodywork. You really need two hands inside two fasten the nuts and bolts together but can only reach in with one hand. Anyone have any advice for the best way to do this? I had thought a series of captive nuts bonded in would simplify the process then I wondered about using butterfly nuts as these would effectively lock themselves against the fibreglass preventing them from turning while the bolt could be tightened up using one spanner. Thoughts, suggestions?

butterfly nut.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

I welded flat stainless plates to the heasds of stainless bolts - the plate only needs to be a couple of inches long (or less) drop bolt through flange, put on nut, plate rotates until it hits inner panel and stops.... simples!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

On a similar vain to Alzax I have in the past got some 5 x 20mm flat bar cut to about 50mm drill and tap it no welding needed.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    I welded flat stainless plates to the heasds of stainless bolts - the plate only needs to be a couple of inches long (or less) drop bolt through flange, put on nut, plate rotates until it hits inner panel and stops.... simples!
    has anyone considered taking this to the next step, where they have long strips of plate metal with said bolts welded into place? it would add a little weight, but I would imagine it would put less strain on the body when they're being tightened up... maybe a second strip plate to be its mate, so the fibre glass is sandwiched between the two?
    My only concern would be choosing something that wouldn't corrode too quickly? (galvanized maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    has anyone considered taking this to the next step, where they have long strips of plate metal with said bolts welded into place?
    Yes! I have long metal plates with 2 or more welded bolts on them on the sides and rear. It makes it a much easier 1 handed job of tightening the the panels up with a ratchet. The long metal bars however are not actually fiberglassed to the body, merely dropped into the holes where the bolts are.

Having said that, I think I'm likely to follow Jim's example of the blind nut fixings from CBS on the scooby Nova

Some great suggestions - are these the type of nuts you mean Dave?
    https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/m5-nut-plate
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Yes! I have long metal plates with 2 or more welded bolts on them on the sides and rear. It makes it a much easier 1 handed job of tightening the the panels up with a ratchet. The long metal bars however are not actually fiberglassed to the body, merely dropped into the holes where the bolts are.

Having said that, I think I'm likely to follow Jim's example of the blind nut fixings from CBS on the scooby Nova
    I hadn't considered glassing them in, but thats something to consider for future innovations

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Some great suggestions - are these the type of nuts you mean Dave?
    https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/m5-nut-plate

Yes those are the ones, Jim used countersunk rivets to hold them if I remember correctly